Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2006 VZ SVZ - Transmission Upgrade?

Clunesymate

Brissy Waters Car Club
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6
G'Day guys, I have just purchased a VZ SVZ 4 speed auto. What do you guys think of this transmission, does it allow the car to reach its full potential? What mods would you guys suggest or would opting for a 5 speed box out of an SV6 fit?
Thanks!

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Perhaps you could elaborate just what YOU mean by FULL POTENTIAL ! After all it is a 6 cylinder 175 engine built for reliability, economy and (generally) low cost of running. What do you expect ?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
would opting for a 5 speed box out of an SV6 fit?

It's not just a case of 4 speed out 5 speed in, it's much more involved than that. Short answer, for the amount of effort and cost, no it's not worth it at all.

newjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz sv6, Vs s2 manual, Vy ss manual
you want performance yet you buy a base model 6 cylinder VZ.

gratz brah

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
It's not just a case of 4 speed out 5 speed in, it's much more involved than that. Short answer, for the amount of effort and cost, no it's not worth it at all.

This. There are much easier mods that can be done to help it reach "full potential". Do some research, plenty of threads on here that have helped me make decisions, if you take the time to look and read.

Start by looking at the specific VZ posts and I have found the 'Show off your Ride' threads helpful for ideas.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Probably best to get it dyno tuned and get the shift points etc remapped

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
welcome should have been conveyed as its your first time as a member, listen to what has been said above, google on the site, eg, vz better brakes, vz cai, things like that, look at my rides (as R-J-K pointed out) gives lots of info, look at the diy's, and the sticky's as well