Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Swaybar for VZ SS. Should i get front or rear

lowndes8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Thinking of getting a sway bar for my commodre to make it handle a little better.

Should i get the front or the rear. I cant get both due to $$$$ so what one would benifit the car better?

Cheers
Matt

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Your vehicle would (should) have had front and rear Stabilizer Bars (aka Sway Bars) installed as standard equipment at the time of manufacture. Same applies to ALL VZ and probably ALL other subsequent models of Commodore.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Your vehicle would (should) have had front and rear Stabilizer Bars (aka Sway Bars) installed as standard equipment at the time of manufacture. Same applies to ALL VZ and probably ALL other subsequent models of Commodore.

Way to read/answer the question.

Do the rear, it will reduce understeer and make the car turn in more. Not to mention, the front is a PITA to do.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
AS R_J_K said it will reduce understeer but if you are not used to driving a neutral or oversteering car take it easy at first as you can loose the tail very quickly with a little bit of V8 prodding.
Buy the adjustable rear and set it on the softer setting to start with and learn how it handles and if you like it stiffen it up on the other setting.
My senator has Whiteline 30mm adjustable front set in the middle of the 3 settings and the rear is a non adjustable 18mm and the handling is very neutral with oversteer only needs a push on the loud pedal.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
maybe a few new bush's etc, on the front and rear would be a better option (possibly cheaper) and new shocks if there stuffed, before you go changing something to compensate for other worn out components

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
AS R_J_K said it will reduce understeer but if you are not used to driving a neutral or oversteering car take it easy at first as you can loose the tail very quickly with a little bit of V8 prodding.
Buy the adjustable rear and set it on the softer setting to start with and learn how it handles and if you like it stiffen it up on the other setting.
My senator has Whiteline 30mm adjustable front set in the middle of the 3 settings and the rear is a non adjustable 18mm and the handling is very neutral with oversteer only needs a push on the loud pedal.

Perhaps the original poster should have clarified what they were thinking by using the words, " I am thinking of UPGRADING the sway bar(s)'. How can another person possibly know what someone else is thinking !! One of the big problems with the youth these days is their inability to adequately communicate, their poor choice of words or in the extreme, the unacceptable practice of substituting words often resulting in their conversation sounding ridiculous. Remember, if you go to the trouble of communicating with someone using the written word and the recipient has difficulty understanding exactly what you are saying then YOU have failed. Please read your post before actually clicking SEND. :yeah:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Thinking of getting a sway bar for my commodre to make it handle a little better.

Should i get the front or the rear. I cant get both due to $$$$ so what one would benifit the car better?

Cheers
Matt

Ok - first things first. You don't just throw on a random sway bar to magically make your car handle better. If it were my car, I'd make sure all the bushes etc were in top shape, throw in a quality set of shocks and slightly lower than fe2 springs which will improve it's handling no end. From there you start tuning - push it hard on a track and see weather you have under steer or over steer and from there you can decide if you need stiffer springs/sway bar at which end. Get it wrong and you will make it worse if anything.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon

I have the same sizes on my VX wagon and can't rate them more highly. Made the handling of the car so much better, even in day to day driving.