Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission stopped working - VZ Calais

hays1530

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Calais
Hi guys,

This is my first post as I've just got my hands on a VZ Calais and need some help getting it going. It's a 2005 model 5 Speed model.

After getting a new battery and getting it turned on and what not, I drove the car for perhaps 500 meters before stopping at a set of lights. After stopping, when I went to kick off again, it wouldn't move - Just reved up. I tried shifting the gearstick down to L but this made no difference. No matter what the car didn't want to go into gear.

Some history: The previous owner (My cousin) told me the transmission was busted. But he said it happened suddenly. One night it was fine, but the next morning it stopped working. There was no gear slipping for a while first.

I've tried searching for an answer on the forums, but all other threads are people who've had slipping issues for a some time before the box finally gave up. In this case, it was sudden.

Note: While it was driving that 500m, it shifted with no issues at all. It was all very smooth and pulled really well. It was only after stopping at the lights that I could get it moving again.

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hays

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
Either your clutch is gone, or an air bubble in the clutch master cylinder. I think

hays1530

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Calais
I'm not sure. There's no dipstick...from what I understand, it's a 'sealed' transmission so it's supposed to be good for life or something like that...? I'm not sure to be honest.

hays1530

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Calais
It's an auto 5-Speed. P R N D 4 3 L.

To be honest, I'm not sure when the last time the service was, but it has been sitting around for about 6 months so it's been a while. I can see these autos going second hand for about $1500+. Is there any cheaper fix to this? A reco or service of some sort?

MorganVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
If it's an auto it should have a transmission dipstick (my 4speed auto VZ had one), the manuals are sealed.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
PUf1DYv.jpg

This is from the VT VX VY VZ service and repair manual

hays1530

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Calais
Hmm, so I'm correct in saying there is no dipstick but the level can be checked by jacking the car up and checking the filler plug. I'll do that. But would low fluid explain the issue considering the box is never supposed to run out..?