Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Grinding the center of the rims?

adi91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
(If this is the wrong place to post moderator plz move it to the correct place)

Anyhow...getting to the point, am riding on 16" stock rims, tire size: 225/55R16, am planning to upgrade to 18", tire size: 235/40R18, I drive a Holden VZ 2006 V6, the problem is this that the new rims that am going to buy i.e. 18" won't fit my car as they're for Holden VZ 2008 model specifically, the shop am buying the rims from, I know this guy, he's a good friend of mine, have bought a lot of tires from him, but not rims, he recommends buying the rims and then grinding some mm's from the middle (The middle hole,I guess its called the hub? :\ ), as the stock rims middle hole is a bit big i.e. of 16" then 18"s

What do you guys think of grinding some mm"s from the middle of the rims, is it safe ? :think:

Below are the pics for 16" and 18" rims,

Rims_16_inch.jpg

20151102_191846.jpg

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Don't do it. You need to get them machined.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'd get them machined properly but another forum member who does tyres for a living will tell you it can be done by a die grinder.....

As far as I'm aware, all VZ Commodores use the same hub size, their should be no difference between a V6 and V8. Most likely they are just after market wheels that need to machined to suit. It was the VE model Commodores that got a different hub and stud size.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
adi91 wrote "18" won't fit my car as they're for Holden VZ 2008 model specifically".......I think that may be a typo as it should be VE 2008.
There is a lot of dicussion on this forum about machining VE wheels for earlier models, do a seach, and I'll think you'll find that it is covered fairly well.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Your "good friend" in the tyre shop doesn't know too much....All commodores from VB through to VZ inter change with rims.....Those rims are VE commodore

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
S11 commodore SS rims, centre bore size is different(smaller than VZ) get it machined (google the size), the other issue you will have is the stud size is 12mm and the VE is 14mm so unless you get it spot on, balance and mounting issues for wheel nuts, use these wheel nuts Commorore VE Wheel Conversion FOR Older Commodore M12 X 1 5 Wheel Nuts | eBay, they have a sleeve on the end if you look which makes up the 2mm difference in the wheel stud mounting hole

adi91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
I'd get them machined properly but another forum member who does tyres for a living will tell you it can be done by a die grinder.....

As far as I'm aware, all VZ Commodores use the same hub size, their should be no difference between a V6 and V8. Most likely they are just after market wheels that need to machined to suit. It was the VE model Commodores that got a different hub and stud size.

Your "good friend" in the tyre shop doesn't know too much....All commodores from VB through to VZ inter change with rims.....Those rims are VE commodore

Off-course am gonna get em machined, am not gonna do it myself :p
And my mistake :p . Actually I live in KSA so its Chevy lumina here :p . The 18"s are for lumina 2008 model here, I thought it resembles holden VZ 2008, which it doesn't, my bad :doh:

And the rims are replica but A-Quality, they're not original VE rims, original rims from other holden models cannot be found here in this stupid city where I live :bang:, for that I'll have to travel to Kuwait or Bahrain or Dubai....anyhow the quality of the rims is good, furthermore if anyone knows how to check the rim quality I'll use that knowledge as well, before buying em

S11 commodore SS rims, centre bore size is different(smaller than VZ) get it machined (google the size), the other issue you will have is the stud size is 12mm and the VE is 14mm so unless you get it spot on, balance and mounting issues for wheel nuts, use these wheel nuts Commorore VE Wheel Conversion FOR Older Commodore M12 X 1 5 Wheel Nuts | eBay, they have a sleeve on the end if you look which makes up the 2mm difference in the wheel stud mounting hole

Thnx m8, I was concerned about that aswell... am gonna order em just after I get the reply from the other guys regarding the quality of the rims...thnx once again :spot on: