Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rattle in my alloytec

Azzyw

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice, VZ executive wagon
Hi guys. I've got a VZ with typical timing chain rattle. I'm going to go the whole hog and replace everything, clean it right up and hope to hell I've gotten to it in time before bottom end damage has crept in.
My question though is that occasionally (more frequently lately) ive been hearing a rattle that is different. The only way to describe it is as though a bolt is rattling around inside the timing case. It comes and goes and is mainly there when idling. The strange thing is that when I turn the car off, it keeps rattling and slowly fades! It can't be timing gear because the motor has stopped turning! The longer I let it rattle before switching the car off, the longer it continues for. To a point anyway. It typically lasts for about 5 or so seconds after the motor has been turned off and it doesn't just stop rattling instantly, it fades away slowly until it's quiet.
Any idea at all what it could be?! I'm absolutely baffled!!! It's in the lower half of the timing case on the drivers side. Really loud too. I don't know if I can post videos on here but if I can, someone tell me what to do and I'll try to post a video to show you what it's doing.
Thanks heaps everyone.
Aaron

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
If you are a member of an Auto Club (NRMA, RACV, RAA etc), book your car in for a complete diagnostic check. There is a nominal fee involved. generally good value for an unbiased mechanical report. Good luck.

Azzyw

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice, VZ executive wagon
I'm actually a mechanic myself. I'm totally baffled as to what it could be. I'm hoping it might actually be a loose bolt or something being thrown around in there from a previous repair prior to me getting the car.

1ntercept

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Executive 5.7 Gen3/VE2 Omega Wagon
Low oil pressure. Check out the oil pump!

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Have you tried taking the serpentine belt of and see if the noise is different?
Ive just gone through the timing chain thing and heres what I learnt. Im a factory parts man but when it gets out of control price wise I will bite the bullet and use aftermarket.
I really wanted to use factory chains and tensioners (3 of each).Bottom morse chain factory easy and affordable but 2 upper roller chains very expensive factory for what they are and I had to go aftermarket and use DID chains ...seem ok made in japan. Tensioners factory all good no worries. To the guides went aftermarket made in taiwan ...look good and all made of alloy with plastic chain running surfaces. Didnt change the any gears seemed fine . Got the kit from MACE (on this forum) ....were easy to get along with and also got a valve cover gasket kit....although I really only needed the 2 valve cover gaskets and bolt seals and they did me a deal because Im a JC member. Didnt need the special cam tools just followed most of the instructions from here and didnt move the crank or cams after it was in the position to remove the chains as in the instructions until the new chains were fitted so nothing internal got damaged.
Put a new oil pump in although I dont think it was totally necessary but I thought for such an important part I should put a new pump in (mace one)

Last edited: