Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ commodore.. Whats this pipe/hose?!?

MindPiss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz,vs.. au.. pajero
Hi all My VZ commodore has been inconsistently idling/ stalling also it shudders mildly at speed (80 k or so) and after it stalls after doing some driving it just cranks and wont turn over.. pretty sure i noticed misfiring before so from the internet i have sorta narrowed it down to coil pack/ spark pluggs needing repaced anyway before (earlier thismorning when i noticed the misfiring) I noticed an air hose/ pipe leading from intake master cylinder to back of engine was detached detached at cylinder end (that hose/ pipe is what the pic is of)

Attachments

• cum odour.jpeg
    cum odour.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 1,262

MindPiss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz,vs.. au.. pajero
so ive come to learn its the pcv line..and is for expelling vapours from combustion... but mine is all oily around the inside.. this isnt normal right?.. what priblems does this ailment normally cause? and how can i rectify? cheels all

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
My car had this oil in this line and its in the rubber tube between the throttle body and airbox (didnt change the performance of the engine) as well but my car had the small holes in the breather pipe at the back of the driverside valve cover blocked up pretty good with sludge...ive unblocked them recently and havent given it much time to see if it fixed it. The vent tube/hose sits under the heater hoses at the back

Something i found on a american car website
Just click on link .

This prevents the crankcase from evacuating and all the damaging combustion byproducts are accumulating (along with moisture/water) in the crankcase. Pressure will drive some into the main clean-side air intake tube.

and a mod someone has done to prevent it happenning again

original

Last edited:

MindPiss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz,vs.. au.. pajero
Cheers for your input.. were you having problems like rough idle, stalling and not turning over by any chance?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
no .......only low oil pressure and MASSIVE sludge problems
in the past ive had starter solenoid dramas when hot the car wouldnt even turn over just click at the starter so i replaced the starter..all good and then coil packs breaking down that was a high speed misfire.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
so ive come to learn its the pcv line..and is for expelling vapours from combustion... but mine is all oily around the inside.. this isnt normal right?.. what priblems does this ailment normally cause? and how can i rectify? cheels all

This part, coming from the section between the air filter and the throttle-body, is the breather part, it shouldn't expel anything as it's there to bring more pressure in the engine in case it's too low because the other part (which comes from the drive side of the engine and gets back to the intake), indeed expels oil vapours.

The breather side should be pretty clean, while the other side is supposed to be oily (you can actually fit a catch can to avoid expelling that crap in your intake manifold).

If your breather side is oily, you might have a PCV valve issue, with means it's not just breathing through this side, it also expels stuff, which go in the throttle body and can indeed cause idling/stalling issue if it gets dirty enough.

I would start with checking and cleaning the throttle-body, but since the line was disconnected, there's no way it could have sent crap there. The PCV system was just breathing unfiltered air.

John Smith 068

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore wagon
Hi all My VZ commodore has been inconsistently idling/ stalling also it shudders mildly at speed (80 k or so) and after it stalls after doing some driving it just cranks and wont turn over.. pretty sure i noticed misfiring before so from the internet i have sorta narrowed it down to coil pack/ spark pluggs needing repaced anyway before (earlier thismorning when i noticed the misfiring) I noticed an air hose/ pipe leading from intake master cylinder to back of engine was detached detached at cylinder end (that hose/ pipe is what the pic is of)

John Smith 068

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ commodore wagon
Hi mate my vz wagon doing the same injector 4 was stuffed replaced it no difference now a bad connection to cylinder 4 so I need a new ECU hope you get out of it cheaper than me get your computer looked at by a good auto elec as I wasted money replacing the injector for a start hope this helps. John ps the ecu in them is a common fault too.