Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec or Ecotec for an economical and reliable tourer?

BenMitchell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
Hi guys,

I'd like to pick up a wagon and do some touring around Australia. As I plan on driving a lot of highway kilometres and visiting some remote places, fuel economy and reliability are important to me.

I don't want to run a gas system because I plan on sleeping in the back, and gas availability is poor in Outback areas.

Does the newer Alloytec get better highway economy than the ecotec? Is one more reliable than the other?

Will parts availability and mechanical knowledge in the outback be greater for one model over the other?

Any input on the subject will be much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

BenMitchell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
I've tried finding information on this topic. Am I correct in assuming the highway economy is about the same between the VY and VZ?

I'm also assuming the ecotec might be considered the more reliable of the two, due to it's simpler and old, proven technology.

Am I roughly correct here?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Ecotec will be much easier to get parts for at short notice, and much cheaper if you can find a wrecker. Also probably easier to fix stuff on the side of the road.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
I would suggest you get the latest model you can afford be it either of your choices. I would also encourage you to consider membership of an Autp Club (RACV, RACQ, NRMA, RAA etc). They have reciprocal rights, provide roadside assist and if needed towing (distance depends on level of coverage), If you are a member or decide to join, they will also be able to provide you with a pre-purchase mechanical report (for a nominal fee) which would be re-assuring before heading of on your journey. Good luck.

BenMitchell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Acclaim S2
Ecotec will be much easier to get parts for at short notice, and much cheaper if you can find a wrecker. Also probably easier to fix stuff on the side of the road.

This is the kind of information I was after. Thanks! :)

And yeah I'm planning on getting RACQ roadside assist membership :thumbsup:

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Agree with you on this one, the Ol Ecotec will go all day long loping along at highway speeds and return excellent economy.
Had a brand new VX wagon, left Surfers Paradise filled up, and got all the way to Hexam Newcastle before fuel light came on,
Being a no-fuss basic overhead valve donk makes it all that much more appealing especially when out bush

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
Ecotec for reliable
Alloytec for fuel.. in theory. But i seem to always hear about alloytecs using a lot more fuel than an eco

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Trans cooler and changing of all the fluids would probably be a good investment too.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Ecotec's are naturally more reliable. A single cam, pushrod engine with a cast iron block and heads means that there's much less to go wrong.

Power and economy are about the same. Servicing and repairs for the ecotec are much cheaper, and parts are cheap and readily available. Plus, they're very easy to work on yourself.

The alloytec is smoother and more technologically advanced, but they're quite gutless off the bottom end - even the 190kw versions. They need to be revved quite hard to squeeze the power out of them. The ecotec is stronger off the bottom, where most drivers spend most of their time in daily driving.

It's totally personal preference.

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Alloytec changing coil packs/Spark plugs inlet manifold has to come off and in some cases the gasket will need replacing. FYI the coil packs are common on Alloytecs.
Ecotec coils pack basically right in front and changing spark plugs is straight forward. Not to mention the timing chains on some Alloytecs this will cost a fair bit if your not much of a diy person.
Alternator is easier to change compared to the Alloytec.
For me the Ecotec as it is diy friendly and reliable.
The only reason I have a Alloytec is because I like the ve Sv6 shape. Other wise I would have kept my Vx spac.