Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Timing chain repalcement

Bobbus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hi there, just wonderring if anybody out there can help me? Just taken apart motor to replace timing chains and was rotating crankshaft to line up stage 1 timing marks . crank rotated fine for about 10 revolutions then all of a sudden has stopped and refuses to budge? Any suggestions?

Bobbus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Got it worked out the tensioner on timing chain had slackened off allowing chain to slip a toth or two and had to take it back a few teeth to get it moving again.

Bobbus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Trying to line up stage one timing marks but it dosnt want to line up despite 2 hrs of rotating crank by hand? Im wonderring if someone has had it apart before and not put things back in right places? Any ideas???

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
We talking the V6 alloytec?

Edit: If so here's what the Gregory's Service Manual has to say -

9uB5dux.jpg

HyocL1k.jpg

IzAJIFb.jpg

Hope it helps

Last edited:

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
We talking the V6 alloytec?

Edit: If so here's what the Gregory's Service Manual has to say -

Hope it helps

What the?
Looks like a ecotec to me .

It will take a long time to get it all to line up again ... To do it right you will have to turn the engine over until you get the dot on the crank gear to be at the first dot on the pump roughly at 5 o'clock and the passenger side cams should be so the flat edge at the back is up and parallel to the head...if they aren't wind another 360degrees and it should..... You can then take the chains off and line it all back up again... You will be winding forever to get everything to line up at the same time again without pulling it apart. I know because I tried to get all the marks to line up again by winding it over and over ..never got there gave up....got the crank ones to line up again by winding the engine over as the timing links on the morse chain are 13 links apart and they move 1 link forward on the timing gear mark every pass as theyare a odd number....... you do it 14 times and they line up again but that is only the bottom chain.

Last edited:

Bobbus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Yep thats not the alloytec in the picture but thanks for trying Gaiter. I can do that Markovr but does it matter which cylinder is at TDC when Cams are flat side up for 1st stage timng? Thanks. Also do you know How many times the crank mark would pass the 5 oclock timing mark to complete a whole combustion cycle? Sorry to be a pain just trying to get my head around it all!

Bobbus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Thanks Markovr, you were absolutely right just got off the phone to my dad back east and he explained it all to me in detail and confirmed that what you said is right. So will push ahead now and when I put it back together Im gonna line it all up not like the last person who played with it. One more question when it comes time to put timing cover back on do you use a pre-made gasket or some kind of sealant? I cant find a gasket big enough in the kit I got? Thanks again.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
One more question when it comes time to put timing cover back on do you use a pre-made gasket or some kind of sealant? I cant find a gasket big enough in the kit I got? Thanks again.
no gasket just some quality sealant...I used permatex ultra grey from supercrap in a 3mm bead as in below and bolts tightenened as per picture and if you have a couple of old long studs with the heads cut off it makes it easy to install the cover squarely without disturbing the sealant until it mates with block.
Also I found if you have the belt tensioner off when doing up the bolts, bolt 10 will seem too long but with the belt tensioner on it is ok.
I wouldnt change the cam sensor seals in the cover if I did it again as the aftermarket ones are quite brittle and can easily shear when pushing the longer sensor in if you dont get them lined up perfectly.Its just as you push them in for the seal lip to go over the square edge of the sensor mating surface (I did it and could luckily fish the bits out)

[URL=http://s592.photobucket.com/user/markovr/media/alloytec%20pins_zpsnf9301zf.jpg.html]

front%20cover_zpsdyerxtcs.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:

Bobbus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Thanks Markovr, thats very helpful. If you think of any other useful tips would greatly appreciate it!

Bobbus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hey there guys need to remove crank sprocket to change oilpump any advice on best removal technique??