Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Towing with a VZ

Brooook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec SW
I have owned a 1991 VP wagon, then bought a 2003 BA Falcon wagon, partner has a 1999 VT wagon and I love it, especially on a recent South Island road trip, so I sold my BA after not having to do anything to it for 5yrs and bought a 2005 VZ wagon which arrives next week. I have towed the boat (17ft runabout) over steep hills with all of the previous vehicles and wonder if the drop in engine size to 3565cc will be countered by the more modern engine technology? Please tell me it will be OK as the Falcon has gone and the VZ is yet to arrive.

The VP did have an overheating problem once while towing and I think it was a fan problem at the time. I had a trans cooler installed in the Falcon and it towed really easily but those tiny spots of rust on the A pillar (looking like they were coming from inside out) was enough to sell it fast. Don't usually tow the boat with the VT but have done with no probs. We usually tow the poptop with the VT and the boat with the Falcon. Maybe he should tow the boat with the VT and I tow the poptop?

Anything else I need to worry about with the VZ? It was a company car and has 150k on the clock and has service history every 10k.

Your thoughts please.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Most people get a 1600kg tow bar/ball assembly. Should be stamped or labeled by manufacturer - factory or after market $800 to $500 installed.

From memory the VZ auto V6 can tow more than a manual.
I don't have the car owners manual at present but some members will be able to fill in the blanks.

If you are getting the owners manual with the vehicle it will have the axle loads, towing weights and load on hitch etc.
Enjoy the VZ.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
VZ 2100kg (in Australia) with suitably approved tow bar.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Really need to know the weight of the boat to tell you it will be ok, pretty much that's the only critical information we need, the rest is a nice story though.

Probably if you've towed it with all those other cars it'll be fine, but with all those car upgrades........it must be time for a boat upgrade........

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I have owned a 1991 VP wagon, then bought a 2003 BA Falcon wagon, partner has a 1999 VT wagon and I love it, especially on a recent South Island road trip, so I sold my BA after not having to do anything to it for 5yrs and bought a 2005 VZ wagon which arrives next week. I have towed the boat (17ft runabout) over steep hills with all of the previous vehicles and wonder if the drop in engine size to 3565cc will be countered by the more modern engine technology? Please tell me it will be OK as the Falcon has gone and the VZ is yet to arrive.

The VP did have an overheating problem once while towing and I think it was a fan problem at the time. I had a trans cooler installed in the Falcon and it towed really easily but those tiny spots of rust on the A pillar (looking like they were coming from inside out) was enough to sell it fast. Don't usually tow the boat with the VT but have done with no probs. We usually tow the poptop with the VT and the boat with the Falcon. Maybe he should tow the boat with the VT and I tow the poptop?

Anything else I need to worry about with the VZ? It was a company car and has 150k on the clock and has service history every 10k.

Your thoughts please.

should be fine , even though it has a slightly smaller engine , it has more torque and power than all except the Falcon , just check the tow bar capacity , most are fine though . Might also pay to get a AA check or similar .

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
VZ 2100kg (in Australia) with suitably approved tow bar.

Bear in mind 2100KG is only when using Weight distribution hitch and/ or lift shocks. If towbar is being used without these aids, 1600Kg (with 160Kg ball weight) is the rating.

Brooook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec SW
Thanks. I've never weighed the boat but guess the weight to be under a tonne.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The falcon, vt and vp are more torquey engines, and you'll probably need to keep the vz a gear lower to keep it in the powerband.

And with the irs of the vz it might not tow as nicely but will still do the job fine. A set of hd rear springs will help and make it much nicer to tow with.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
The falcon, vt and vp are more torquey engines, and you'll probably need to keep the vz a gear lower to keep it in the powerband.

And with the irs of the vz it might not tow as nicely but will still do the job fine. A set of hd rear springs will help and make it much nicer to tow with.

I would have thought the same, but VZ 3.6 is quoted as more torque 320nm for VZ @ 2800 rpm, versus 305nm for VY @ 3600 rpm

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Will be fine I'd think mate, you could always get an aftermarket cold air intake extractors with pipes in place of the cat converters and dyno tune for some more snap if you wanted to