Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ V6 wont start.

Smiddie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ CBD
I just did the timing chain cover on my car as it started to leak (Apparently a common problem with these engines.)
I have put it all back together roughly, and it started fine, turned it off and started putting everything down properly.
I broke the PCV pipe that goes from the air intake manifold to the rocket cover.
It started with out it. I then went and replaced it and now it wont start. I take it back off and it still wont start.

Each time i started it, it was for a few seconds no more, and it started no problem whatsoever, i started it twice.
Now that everything is on properly it wont start at all.

Have i killed the engine by started it with out the PVC pipe? I believe it somes type of air vacuum thing for the air intake manifold.

The first time i started it was when i put the pullies and belt on. It had some water but not alot, it also had about 4 litres of oil but not enough to fill it.
Again both times was for 2 secs only and quickly turned it off. I did it the first time just to make sure the pullies were all good and the belt was good. Im abit impatient like that lol.

Smiddie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ CBD
I should also mention that is trys to start, its almost there, but just want fire. Battery is not the problem

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
If you have broken the vacuum line between the inlet manifold and the odd cylinder engine cover (PC Ventilation connect point) then you would have a lean mixture on start up. Which could make for a difficult start.

If you broke the line between the even cylinder engine cover and the inlet air tract (after the IAT/MAF then unfiltered air would be entering the engine via the throttle plate.

Perchance the Fuel Vapour purge hose at the throttle body is connected up to the valve or not cracked or broken?

I would try a systematic check of stuff you have removed.

If it all fails, if possible, get a scanner on it to see what the DTCs say.