Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

After market Hi flow air filter....are they OK?

wade ssz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ssz
Fit and forget. You will likely not even feel better performance from it unless exhaust and tune etc are also done to compliment it.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Fit and forget. You will likely not even feel better performance from it unless exhaust and tune etc are also done to compliment it.

Agreed needs supporting mods to make it a worthwhile investment

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
In my opinion a reusable/serviceable filter will pay for itself after a couple of cleans, whether it be a K&N, Aeroflow or any other brand.
Considering a ryco A1358 is upwards of $25 nowadays it doesn't take long for a serviceable filter to pay for itself.
Just don't over oil the filter as you will get oil contaminating the sensor wires in the MAF.
One bit of advice would be to do some research on the filter you intend to buy, not all filters are created equal in regards to their filtering capacity.
I have been doing this lately as I want to replace the K&N in my new OTR.
My research has found that BMC filters which are made in Italy, seem to be the best at a filtering capacity of 7 microns compared to a K&N at 30 microns

MorganVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
I changed my VZ V6 (to a K&N) and noticed a slight change in performance and noise under-load. Made a bigger difference in the V8 though

munter000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagon
Thanks MorganVZ. I am interested in gaining some performance but more into the longer life of the filter.

Another two questions ...do I need to oil the filter? If so, what grade of oil is best?

D

Don123

Not worth the expense, and if you wait for it to "pay for itself", you'll have to wait long after you've sold the car and bought another one.

D

Don123

The filter comes oily already. The cleaning fluid and the oil you'll need to buy separate from the filter and it's a special oil, there's no grade.
Thanks MorganVZ. I am interested in gaining some performance but more into the longer life of the filter.

Another two questions ...do I need to oil the filter? If so, what grade of oil is best?