Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

oil pressure intermittent warning + burning oil at alarming rate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
got the oil pressure light coming on and off when the engine is at operating temp recently after oil change. The car has been run on penrite 5w 40 full synthetic all its life with liqui molly oil flush every second change. The only thing I did different this time was add liqui molly mos2 anti friction treatment to the oil for the first time ever please help!

engine is a 5.7 v8

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Try replacing the oil pressure sensor first.
The treatment may have stuck to the gallery of your existing sensor. Maybe an oil change at the same time.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
yeah im going to try changing the oil and filter see if that works. The oil pressure sensor isn't really in a user friendly spot

Caprice383

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Highly likely to be the oil pressure switch at the back of the manifold. I'd be looking at that

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
ok so I have changed the oil and filter! The oil pressure light did come on a few times at idle and when I revved the engine hard, but went away after a while so hopefully fixed. If the light comes back on I will try changing the oil pressure switch if the oil warning light comes back on is the car still safe to drive? apart from that the engine has no knocking or chattering noises and the temp is fine

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
I am now curious about the use of modern oil additives.

Holden manuals tend to say use no additives.

Does the screen size (microns?) in the oil filter pick-up the moly particles and tend to block the oil filter, restrict oil flow, and make the oil filter "bypass" do all of the work? Can the bypass be restricted, gummed up?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I am now curious about the use of modern oil additives.

Holden manuals tend to say use no additives.

Does the screen size (microns?) in the oil filter pick-up the moly particles and tend to block the oil filter, restrict oil flow, and make the oil filter "bypass" do all of the work? Can the bypass be restricted, gummed up?

Yea me too as I normally add moreys heavy duty oil stabiliser (1 litre) every oil change I do on my ls1, it's quite thick and tacky when ya pour it in... Does anyone else have an opinion on these?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
just an update no more oil warning light let this be a warning to using additives in oil they aint worth it

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
Have there been any more oil light issues since?

I have had MOS2 in my LS for about 3000km (I use it in everything) and never had what you're describing. Its got MOS2 in it right now actually...

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If the additive made the light come on, then I'd be looking at the switch. It's pretty easy to get to, a 24mm socket will get it out. Or is it a 22mm.....