Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2005 VZ SV6 190kw Alloytec Rebuild and Timing Chains

VZ_SV6_6Speed

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6 6 Speed Manual
I have a 2005 vz sv6 6 speed manual and it needs it timing chains replaced so I'm gonna replace them but I wanna rebuild the engine aswell, what will I need? And roughly how much it will cost me thanks

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Why do you want to rebuild it? No offence man, but if your question is 'what do I need to rebuild an engine', particularly an Alloytec, you probably shouldn't be tearing that engine down. The other problem is that there's not a whole lot of dev on Alloytecs, and not many people have rebuilt them.

If you wanna learn, I'd pick up an Ecotec for $100 and go nuts on that. Much more basic and simple, plus parts are waaay more common and cheaper.

VZ_SV6_6Speed

Reaction score
Members Ride
I want to rebuild it because the last owners didn't get it serviced much at all so I want to see if anything needs replacing so I don't run into any future problems, and do you know if getting it cammed would be worth it why I have everything apart? And are the timing chains hard to replace?

wade ssz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ssz
I think what he saying mate is if your not sure how hard a timing chain is to change or what parts are needed for a rebuild maybe you shouldnt be tackling it?
I wouldnt waste any money on v6 modifications unless it was boost.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
There's no real point in having it rebuilt. Do it yourself if you can, but apparently it's out of the equation seeing your questions.

You're better off buying a complete engine with a good service history and have it swapped if you really want to keep the car.

VZ_SV6_6Speed

Reaction score
Members Ride
I was gonna buy another engine but I can't find any with the same engine code, is there anyway to put a engine in that has a different engine code? Cheers

VZ_SV6_6Speed

Reaction score
Members Ride
If I did rebuild it I wouldn't be doing it myself my mates dad is a mechanic and has all the tools and equipment and he said he will help me out to do it I just need to buy everything for it first anyone know what I'll need to buy

wade ssz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ssz
Engine code? The engine number is specific to your car. As long as its the same engine it will drop straight in. Maybe you will have to adjust the engine block number on your rego with the transport department?