Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Knob job.....is replacing the selector lever an easy task?

munter000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagon
As you can see in the pictures the knob in my car is worn and looks crap.
I would like to replace it.
Is it a DIY job?
Anything to look out for?

TIA
munter
P1140776_zpscdvmks3c.jpg

P1140775_zps7stj9kjp.jpg

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I have never changed one myself
I think there is a thread on this in the "How to" section of the forum

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
It's easy.

There is a small hex screw facing the stereo. Have a look round and you'll see it.
Undo that and the knob slides off.

Getting the button and trim off is a bit harder.
Yep, there's a how to.

R

Risky

I've done this with mine. You'll need to take out the centre console but not the plastic surrounds on the sides. Once that's out you need to be careful in removing the plastic plate surrounding the shifter. Then put the shifter in low gear & use a hex screwdriver to remove the screw then pull off. Under the plastic shift plate you can remove the gaiter surrounding the knob. replacing it all is just in reverse. Allow 90mins to do & be careful you don't crack any of the plastic.

You can still buy leather knobs, brush aluminum plastic & leather gaiter from your local Holden spares section & relatively cheap as I did with mine.

The images in this section will help.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-remove-dash-center-console-vy-vz.60145

This vid shows how to remove the window switches but gives you an idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4S2JCxJ_7Y

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
If all your wanting to do is replace the satin chrome there is a bloody easier way to do in, on the satin chrome button squeeze the outter edges inwards and it will pop off, next you will see two Phillip heads screws, remove them and lever it out, then fit replacement chrome, you can buy the satin chrome shifter off eBay and look at the pictures to understand My instructions better

munter000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagon
yeah, thanks for asking.
I painted the missing silver on the knob with Tamiya acrylic modelling paint....cheap quick fix. Looks OK for what it is.
The real change will have to wait until I have attended to some other essential stuff.
After my exploits into painting the brake hubs and calipers revealed some ripped shock/strut boots.
Now I am thinking at 175K km maybe some suspension work wouldn't go amiss.
Wanted to show the brake look but Photobucket is on a go slow.

No, Photobucket heard me...nothing great really but the new brake hubs were starting to rust and that looks crap in my opinion.
I chose black gloss for a more understated look that say the often seen red or yellow or silver.
P1140873_zpswmh8dfub.jpg

P1140874_zps9dhaszwm.jpg

R

Risky

I've just left mine as it is. I know the suspension is fine on mine.

Anyway I found the site I used & I bought the Monaro Black Anthracite transmission lever cover & the Monaro Leather Auto shift cover.
Holden VY Monaro Transmission Lever Cover Black Anthracite Leather 92147173 | eBay

Holden VY Monaro Auto Shift Cover Silver Grey Thread NEW OE 92145654 | eBay

They're pretty cheap & they are New Old Stock. Holden still has the silver plastic trim in stock & they are dirt cheap. On the image below are the clip points to the Centre Console. You will need a trim remover tool, phillips head screw driver & a hex screw driver to remove the old gear knob. If you do break your console, new you're looking at AUD$85 from Holden.

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 3,873

munter000

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ wagon
Thanks Risky. I can tell you are a Commodore enthusiast.

What exactly is a trim removal tool? and is that diagram all I need to follow to take the centre console out?