Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ - sway bar strut link replacement - the double ball joint ones

Samantha666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec 2004 feb
Good mornings boys n girls... newbie here.. if this has been covered please ref the post -- about to start replacing my sway bar strut links.... Q..?... apart from putting the front end on a couple of support stands... is there any preload spring pressure on this set up that needs to be released before I start undoing the nuts... Love my VZ... they're one of a kind! xxx samantha666

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
Welcome to the site, when I replaced mine all I did was drive up onto some ramps and then replaced them, don't have to disconnect anything or support anything

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
As Hrd455 said use ramps not stands unless you place the stands under the suspension arms to keep the suspension compressed at standard load and that way the links should not be under stress.
If you let the suspension hang down the swaybar and weight of the wheel/tyres will be hanging off the link.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Have a good quality/fit in the ring spanners, sockets you are going to use when undoing the locknuts. Mine were extremely tightly done up, and the nuts had a tapered face which faced outwards which made it easy for the spanner to slip if not snugly fitted.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
I wouldn't recommend supporting the car on jack stands under the lower control arms. They are a cast steel arm and not designed to take load like that and could break.

As Hrd455 said use ramps not stands unless you place the stands under the suspension arms to keep the suspension compressed at standard load and that way the links should not be under stress.
If you let the suspension hang down the swaybar and weight of the wheel/tyres will be hanging off the link.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I used jack and stands

Stands on the chassis and jack under the hub and raised it

Much more room to play with and can do a overall inspection of the area too