Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Adventra Driveline noises

culfy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V, VZ Adventra
I've had my Adventra for a while now. Replaced the front rotors with slotted units as soon as I got it because the standard brakes struggle to stop it and they are better but I think the tyres are letting it down now.
Other than that I've had nothing at all to do to it.
It's got 160-170k on it.
Since I bought it it had a minor "taxi" diff whine which I'm not bothered about. It's not getting worse and it works fine.
It also has a couple of other noises that I thought I should investigate:
1. at slow speed high steering lock (backing into driveway etc) it makes a ticking noise (click/tick, kind of sound, hard to describe). Like the uni/CV is no good, but none of the connections have concerning play if I try to move the driveshafts from under the car (by hand).
2. occasionally, after sitting at the lights it makes a graunch noise as if a brake was stuck or maybe a diff clutch is stuck.
3. on take off it does a type of soft clunk/click from the rear, seems to be when torque is applied. It doesn't affect smoothness and doesn't appear to do it after. Only on initial acceleration and only when torque is applied. It only does it once, then once again if I accelerate more. It's not a continuous noise.

Has anyone got any idea if any of those are major issues or not? The graunch noise is quite un-nerving. I have a theory its the centre diff.
I had it checked out by a Holden dealer before I bought it and they seemed to think it was OK. Then again. they didn't even notice the rear park assist didn't work!

Thanks,

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
You haven't mentioned if the diffs and transfer case have had oil changes.
If not, find a reputable 4WD servicer, if they are familiar with AWD Holdens, and get the oils changed.
When I bought my Cross6, local Holden service reception tried to tell me there was no such animal, I was mistaken as it must be a Rodeo........that does wonders for customer confidence.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Could be a dying front tail shaft cv joint.

culfy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V, VZ Adventra
When I bought my Cross6, local Holden service reception tried to tell me there was no such animal, I was mistaken as it must be a Rodeo........that does wonders for customer confidence.

That's gold! I had a similar discussion with an insurnce company about the GTS-R I used to have. They told me it was either a Clubsport or a Senator.

I've not changed the oils. It's got a full service history so if it's in the log book that it's needed it would have been done. The car isn't here right now. Will check it out.

I remembered another noise. Edited the original post.

Last edited: