Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Commodore engine randomly dying.

Vengarse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Commodore Storm Ute
Hi, so I recently changed the water pump and battery on my 2005 VZ Ute as the water pump had a screwed bearing and the battery was in need of a change. I changed those things and then had overheating issues after replacing the coolant. I finally realised I didn't bleed the system and once I did the overheating issue went away. However, now I am dealing with the car randomly dying at almost idle speeds while I'm driving. I could be exiting a shopping centre, going over a speed bump or turning and it just dies. All in cabin electrics stay on like nothing happened, power steering and engine etc just die.

So I hooked up my OBD2 reader and got these error codes:
hcLQogk.png

I cleared these codes and then got a few of them again (not all). Now I don't get any codes at all when the car dies.

I looked around on the internet and found this: Engine Diagnostics PDF. Looking up these codes in this PDF seems to mention grounding issues. Is it possible when I let them coolant drain from the engine through the water pump hole or when I refilled the coolant that I spilt some on some ground point or a wire? How would I go about even narrowing this down? I have to drive this car across the country in a few weeks so I really need to figure this out. Any insight would be appreciated!

JJH08

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz ss 6.0l
Is your battery in tight as when I got my vz back from the mechanics it did this and the battery was moving and nit being earthed properly tightened it up and not had the problem since