Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing chain paranoia

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Since I spent some time lately browsing forums I have now got "timing chain paranoia" . The condition is very real, I am all of a sudden petrified of my engine producing the findings some others have had to deal with. I can not afford $2500 if this were to happen to me. So I am wondering if it is a condition that I can cure with this post.
I have a VZ SV6 built April 05, engine number ( H051020560), 118000 kms, serviced on time, current oil Nulon 5w-30. Owned the car since 60000 kms and no apparent issues since we've owned it.

There are numerous threads on timing chains. This is not a thread on cost or how to replace timing chains on a VZ. I'd like to keep this very specific.

1) What engines are likely affected
2) How can it best be prevented if at all

Starting with 1) What engines are likely affected
I read some important notes on another forum that reads

Important Note:

This condition, in isolated cases, only affects the
7.7 mm pitch timing chain installed in engines
built after the following engine numbers:

H053340001 VZ@VE, VE, WL, WM
H051530001 CG
H051580001 RA

The 9.525 mm pitch timing chain installed in
earlier HFV6 engines is not affected.

Most importantly, are there any owners with engines outside this range that also had to replace timing chains?
Is it likely that every motor falling after this range will be affected ?
Does anyone know at which month/year these 7.7mm chains were installed. Is there any way for me to know ( other than motor serial number) what spec chain is installed in my motor?

2) How can it best be prevented if at all
If I happen to have a motor with a 7.7mm chain, considering it has done 118000 kms, what are the chances it will surface soon.
Is driving habits a major reason , what about oil. What can I do to minimize the risk

Last edited:

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Found this. May be a useful starting point.

Alloytec V6 engines: stretched timing chains
In January 2006, 7.7 mm inverted tooth timing chains were introduced for the Alloytec V6 engines, replacing 9.5 mm pitch roller chains. For some – but not all – of these timing chains, the chain links were not manufactured in accordance with design specifications and the chains could become elongated (also known as ‘stretched timing chains’). According to GM Bulletin H08-0601-01, chain elongation was expected to occur in early engine life (i.e. 10,000 kms to 20,000 kms). There have, however, been reports of timing chain elongation occurring at significantly higher kilometres.

Elongation of the timing chains would cause,
•the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL or ‘Check Engine’ light) to illuminate; and
•the ECU to log fault codes P0008, P0009, P0016, P0017, P0018 and P0019 which indicated that camshafts on either bank of the engine were misaligned with the crankshaft.

The engines with timing chains susceptible to elongation were produced from January 2006 to engine build date 18 May 2007 (18/5/2007); this production range corresponded to engine numbers between H053340001 and H071380576.

The typical chain elongation observed was a minimum of 3 mm on a doubled-up chain. Where the timing chains had become elongated, they had to be replaced. The idlers, guiders and tensioners, however, did not require replacement, though the guides should be inspected for any abnormal wear

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Nice start, thanks , however, I read someone else on the forum with a 2005 SV6 had timing chain issues. If they say a 9.5mm chain should never do this, what happened to this guy I wonder.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Found this. May be a useful starting point.

Alloytec V6 engines: stretched timing chains
In January 2006, 7.7 mm inverted tooth timing chains were introduced for the Alloytec V6 engines, replacing 9.5 mm pitch roller chains. For some – but not all – of these timing chains, the chain links were not manufactured in accordance with design specifications and the chains could become elongated (also known as ‘stretched timing chains’). According to GM Bulletin H08-0601-01, chain elongation was expected to occur in early engine life (i.e. 10,000 kms to 20,000 kms). There have, however, been reports of timing chain elongation occurring at significantly higher kilometres.

Elongation of the timing chains would cause,
•the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL or ‘Check Engine’ light) to illuminate; and
•the ECU to log fault codes P0008, P0009, P0016, P0017, P0018 and P0019 which indicated that camshafts on either bank of the engine were misaligned with the crankshaft.

The engines with timing chains susceptible to elongation were produced from January 2006 to engine build date 18 May 2007 (18/5/2007); this production range corresponded to engine numbers between H053340001 and H071380576.

The typical chain elongation observed was a minimum of 3 mm on a doubled-up chain. Where the timing chains had become elongated, they had to be replaced. The idlers, guiders and tensioners, however, did not require replacement, though the guides should be inspected for any abnormal wear

Does anyone know if there are any other telltale signs or sounds that could indicate a problem with the timing chains. My build date is Jan 06

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Does anyone know if there are any other telltale signs or sounds that could indicate a problem with the timing chains. My build date is Jan 06

Not personally, what is your engine number. Its on the passenger side of the motor at the rear. Use a telephone, hold on to it and to take a picture with the flash on otherwise you wont be able to read it without raising it.
Are you nervous? How many ks it done

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Nice start, thanks , however, I read someone else on the forum with a 2005 SV6 had timing chain issues. If they say a 9.5mm chain should never do this, what happened to this guy I wonder.

Really bad service history wouldn't help

Last edited: