Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Auto vs Manual - You Decide!

Clunesymate

Brissy Waters Car Club
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6
G'day all, do you prefer 4 speed auto or 6 speed manual?
Cheers.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Manual all day every day. Especially in the V6, between the slushbox and the fly by wire the auto is laggy as.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Between those two, they're about the same imo. The manual's a nice smooth box but tend to go through 3rd gear syncros if you're a bit rough. The 4 speed auto's are strong boxes but aren't as smooth as a lot of the newer boxes.

I'd buy a falcon with the 6 speed auto (if I had to choose a car based purely on the transmission) :p

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Manual all day every day.
just enjoy it more and it feels weird not changing gears

although there are times when an Auto would be nice as a daily for ease of driving

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
I'd love to drive a manual with no traffic and open roads all day long but hey, for everyday use, auto 200%, even tho the 4 speed doesn't do justice to the auto world.
6 speed auto is better, but nothing beats a double clutch auto, not even a manual.

timmy201

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
I bought a V6 wagon, so I had no choice... it's also supposed to be a daily driver/dog carrier/tow car/windsurfing car and not a sports car so I don't mind having an auto. Then again, if I bought a VY SS Wagon it definitely would have to be manual.

Having read reviews of the car when they were new, and supposedly how clunky the gearboxes were, I was surprised how smooth the changes are the majority of the time (although I drive pretty slow most of the time).

I have a 6 speed manual gearbox in my Mazda3 which shifts very nicely. I never use 5th gear though, which kind of ruins the point of having a 6 speed...

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
My old VS ute & the missus VX sedan were both autos. Both of them were our daily drivers too. In daily traffic to and from work I actually preferred them over a manual car

My 1 Tonner is not my daily driver, it's manual and I wouldn't have it any other way, I prefer to be choosing what gear I am in at any given time when driving it.
It may sound kinda strange to some, but I just feel like I am more in synch with the vehicle

C B

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Storm Ute
Manuals FTW!!! :p I pretty sure you can't drift an automatic car haha :p