Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Timing chain - can you still drive with the chain stretched?

Thomo77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ
my VZ SVZ 06 is making the rattle noise. clocked 140000km
mechanic has said its a big job... one place quoted $3500, have been ringing around and few places seems to be quoting 3-4 grand.

I originally had error message indicating misfiring...mechanic thought that was causing the noise so had coils replaced and spark plugs...fixed the misfiring but the rattle noise continues seems to be timing chain.

My question is can I still drive around town? or should I listen to the rattle and simply not drive the car.

cheers

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Fix it or kabooooooom.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Fix it or kabooooooom.

This. Timing chain is obviously very important. Either find a new motor for it or get it fixed.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
First can you please tell us the engine build number, this is on the passenger side of the engine down the bottom near the trans.
Also helpful to know the build date. We want to determine if your in the range of Alloyec's that had the faulty timing chain manufactured,

Thomo77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ
BUMP

ok so this is what has happened...NEED HELP!!!! (i know little about car lingo so I need authentic help here guys and some solid advice)

got the timing chain replaced - cost $3500 all up- my mechanic stripped it all out - cleaned up alot oil throughout the engine...he used genuine GM parts for the timing chain kit and other parts for it.

then a warning message come up saying - Valve Gear or VVT solenoids (all replaced) big job mechanic didnt charge me for labour as he felt he should have done the valve gear.

He said its running great! and I tell you what it feels it...HOWEVER the warning message came back after half hour driving.Sorry I don't know what the codes are
Went back to mechanic - he said he consulted other mechanics locally who have done these jobs on the VZ - the error message was the same one for the Valve gear problem. He reset computer and the error message came back.

I felt he may have done the job wrong?????? but he swears on his life that the engine is running smooth and all diagnostics indicate its fine! he's at a loss as to what it is

Do I bite the bullet and go to Holden...I've already spent now $4000 and I'm worried that an engine replacement is on the horizon, yet this won't be an option sadly

also before this big job of the timing chain

I had all spark plugs replaced, coil pack and various O2 sensors replaced due to the continuous error message.

Need some genuine advice people...many thanks

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Bugger! Hate to hear these stories of continued woes with a good car. Sounds like you need a second opinion. Even if just someone to scan the codes so you can write down exactly what they are. "Valve gear" does not really explain much.
The computer can log codes for other reasons which are not actual faults with the engine such as a bad connection on the plug to the sensor, loose wiring, faulty sensor etc. You can get the codes read anywhere from Holden to supercheap auto depending if you want any follow up advice or just the code. You could get a quote from Holden over the phone to scan codes and recommend work required without going ahead with the 4 grand job. Might cost about $100-200 at a guess.
You could also buy your own code reader but there can be hazards involved if your mechanical or good with computery things...
Good luck hope it's something simple and cheap!

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
First can you please tell us the engine build number, this is on the passenger side of the engine down the bottom near the trans.
Also helpful to know the build date. We want to determine if your in the range of Alloyec's that had the faulty timing chain manufactured,

Even the revised chain stretches and fails, usually though its due to poor oil quality blocking the tensioners as they only have a tiny pin hole for the oil to enter.

Also when i do chains at home i only charge $1500 as the parts are a lot cheaper these days (genuine holden timing chain kit) is only 400 + coolant, oil and sealant

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
If the mechanic took the car to fix the engine light, charged $3500 and he didn't fix it then definitely bring it back and make a scene. If it's running great now maybe the engine light is due to a separate issue. Is he telling you what codes it's throwing up? Ask for the actual code number. Perhaps it was throwing a code before the fix and now it's another code? Any codes on the paperwork?

Anyway, at least the engine is running great but I would be hassling him about the engine light coming on. After spending that much money you'd expect it to all be ok. Leave it a few days and then go back and say you're really disappointed after spending so much money and feel the problem isn't fixed and that you can't drive around with the engine light on so can he please look at it again and fix it. Don't be rude or angry, it will get you nowhere.

Thomo77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ
If the mechanic took the car to fix the engine light, charged $3500 and he didn't fix it then definitely bring it back and make a scene. If it's running great now maybe the engine light is due to a separate issue. Is he telling you what codes it's throwing up? Ask for the actual code number. Perhaps it was throwing a code before the fix and now it's another code? Any codes on the paperwork?

Anyway, at least the engine is running great but I would be hassling him about the engine light coming on. After spending that much money you'd expect it to all be ok. Leave it a few days and then go back and say you're really disappointed after spending so much money and feel the problem isn't fixed and that you can't drive around with the engine light on so can he please look at it again and fix it. Don't be rude or angry, it will get you nowhere.

yeah look I will go back. the job cost in total for timing chain and then valve gear/solenoids replaced $3100 in total.
I trust this guy. had so many recommendations to start going to him...and have had previous jobs which have been done well, and he's honest and thorough.

I will endeavour to get the code this week. it wasn't on the repair documentation

He mentioned last thing, that it was throwing up the same code for when the valve gear was a problem?????. And he is completely adamant that the car is running fine

I've been driving her all long weekend just around town and she's is going great!!! better than before i feel -

I'm thinking of going to holden dealer??? and checking in with them???? - could it be the computer/software or its picking up something not right with the chain or something they know that my mechanic may not be across for this type of model.