Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

05 Adventra front control arm bush replacement.

Cheesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX6
Ok I did a bit of searching and couldnt find much on this topic so I thought I would give it a crack anyway. A bit of background, the diff whines and clunks and all the tyres chewed out their outside edges, the most logical problem seemed to be the control arm bushes.

I bought Nolathane front and rear bushes for the front control arms then started to pull the car apart.

1. Front bumper and fog lights, pretty much like the sticky post except that there are more screws around the flares, 3 plastic pins across the bottom of each wheel well and 4 M6 bolts holding the underside of the bumper to the cross member (you dont have to separate this panel from the front bumper).

2. I did one side at a time, so loosened the wheel jacked up one side put it on an axle stand, took the wheel off and put it under the chassis rail just in case. The looked at it and thought how the hell do I get that bush out....

JanobJyWYoGt3gPYA

3. I didnt take any photos as my hands were too dirty but removing the control are was pretty easy, first loosen the bolt on the front (24mm head), then the one at the rear of the control arm just under the steering rack boot through a hole in the cross member, in retrospect it is probably better to do the big one on the front while the car is still on its wheels. Finaly there is the 22mm nut on the bottom of the strut, now completely remove this nut then put it back on a few turns before you split the joint (I didnt and had to jack the arm back onto the taper to get the nut off). I used a hammer fork type splitter and just use one leg of it between the strut and the control arm.

4. Take the bolts out and the arm should come out relatively easily, the rear bolt head is pretty tight against the steering rack boot though. Now the rear bushes were easy to get out, cut the rubber lip off the end towards the back of the car and hammer them out with a suitable punch (I used a cheap socket that had no business being a socket)

1MqzVfNVrkQ1XNzXA

5. The big bush that is pressed into the chassis, now all the bit of paper with the Nolathane bushes said was that it needed to be cut out.... So after sitting looking at it for a while I tried a 54mm hole saw, it seemed to work but no where near long enough and the drill wouldnt fit in the back side. So I cut the back off the hole saw and welded in a piece of exhaust tubing. I realise not everyone has the equipment to do this so I would be interested in hearing how others have done this.

hu4P1F4umj1Ngufx9

I randomly had a bucket with a bit of water and car wash detergent in it, this made a pretty good cutting fluid (it gets too hot and just sticks to the rubber other wise). This took the centre of the bush out pretty quickly

soT34M5gyyiT8iSx5

Next I used a brand new hacksaw blade (saves aggravation), put it through the bush and started cutting (hacksaw upside down under the car with the teeth pointing down still cutting on forward stroke). The first bit of the bush is aluminium and pretty easy to cut through, I made two cuts through it, knocked out the little bit then the big bit. It may be possible to do it with one cut.... Then the steel outer, a bit of patience and more cutting with the hacksaw until I was most of the way through then I hammered a cold chisel through it and out it popped. Now if I had of had a sabre saw I would have used that but I didnt.

DRi4CUstpkYFZT9U6

6. The new bushes go in really easily, the only tricky bit on reassembly is getting the rear hole of the control arm lined up perfectly (if its not you cant get the bolt past the steering rack). I pushed the front bolt into the arm and jammed the back bush as far into the chassis as I could (which wasnt far), then I lifted up the strut end and sat it on a piece of 6"x4" laying transversely across the car on the ground and hit the strut end with a piece of 2"x4" and a big hammer until it was further and higher than it needed to be. Then I gradually levered it back out and tapped it down until it was in the right place. Then I was only a matter of tightening the 2 bolts and nut (each side) and putting the bumper back on.

jimmy.85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ HSV AVALANCHE
Hey
I'm just about to do my Avalanche lower control arm bushes, just wanted to know how the car drives now with nolathane in place? I was going to go original bushes because I heard the bumps aren't that noticeable compared to nolathane.
Any how, did you d/c the brakes?

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
How was the ride after all that?

I found that with the big bushes replaced with SuperPro (supposedly softer than Nolathane), the ride was way too harsh.
Even my mechanic commented on it. And that was with raised Kings Springs (softer ride) and bigger tyres (more sidewall = softer ride again).

Ended up having to get genuine oil-filled ones put in - problem solved. But $$$

The other bushes were fine, though - improved the handling.

jimmy.85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ HSV AVALANCHE
Was the oil filled ones easy to install.

Cheesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX6
Ive only done a 10km trip to the supermarket so they may bed in a bit more, but yes they are harsh compared to the ones that came out, probably more annoyingly there is more road noise. That said the ones that came out were probably already rooted when I bought the car in the first place so I dont really have a good point of reference, it is pretty similar to the Subaru Forrester of a similar age that the wife had as company cars though. The steering is way more precise and it doesnt seem to self steer out of roundabouts under power anymore. I havent filled out all my profile but I am in Christchurch NZ which means that our roads are more patches and pot holes than actual seal and its not too bad.

No the brakes dont need to be touched, it was surprisingly easy, the front of the car off then 2 bolts and 1 nut each side to get the control arm out.

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
Was the oil filled ones easy to install.

I had a suspension place do it. The local mechanic didn't have the equipment.
Apparently, it was a bastard of a job. (Maybe because I'd gone to SuperPro & back again)

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
hmmm interesting- my Avalanche is booked in to get its front bushes replaced in two weeks- I can see them moving when underneath trying to locate a knock. Worries me that they have quoted on superpro bushes, as I really don't want it to be harsh riding. Anyone got a cost on the genuines?

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
Ive only done a 10km trip to the supermarket so they may bed in a bit more, but yes they are harsh compared to the ones that came out, probably more annoyingly there is more road noise.

Like me, you have an LX6, so the stiffness of the rear self-levelling suspension will be contributing.

Yes, after 10 years, the oil-filled ones would probably be stuffed, which is why I started on that journey.

I didn't explain myself very well - I replaced ALL the control arms bushes with SuperPro.
The steering and control improved markedly.

My mistake was replacing the big oil-filled ones with SuperPro. It just didn't work well.
The harshness on bumps and speeedbumps etc. really annoyed me. I tried changing tyre pressures with some success, but that had other drawbacks.
In the end, I bit the bullet & went back to the original type, but only for the big ones.

If you have to go the same way, you have my sympathy.

If you're not wedded to the auto-levellers at the back, replacing them with something more conventional will help a little overall.
But the front will still be a bit harsh.

Cheesy

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX6
Like me, you have an LX6, so the stiffness of the rear self-levelling suspension will be contributing.

Yes, after 10 years, the oil-filled ones would probably be stuffed, which is why I started on that journey.

I didn't explain myself very well - I replaced ALL the control arms bushes with SuperPro.
The steering and control improved markedly.

My mistake was replacing the big oil-filled ones with SuperPro. It just didn't work well.
The harshness on bumps and speeedbumps etc. really annoyed me. I tried changing tyre pressures with some success, but that had other drawbacks.
In the end, I bit the bullet & went back to the original type, but only for the big ones.

If you have to go the same way, you have my sympathy.

If you're not wedded to the auto-levellers at the back, replacing them with something more conventional will help a little overall.
But the front will still be a bit harsh.

Its funny, the drivers side one that looked perished and off to one side still had fluid in it (pretty sure its some sort of ethylene glycol), the passenger side looked ok but was dry and rusty inside. Even driving it around today it seems a bit better. It feels like there is too much rebound damping which is probably from the friction in the big bush. How long did you leave yours in for? Im happy enough with them, and I would hate to think the cost of getting the OEM ones fitted.

jimmy.85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ HSV AVALANCHE
I believe the originals are cheaper than the super pro ones,
But I think they are a lot harder to put in.