Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS LS2 starter motor replacement anyone done it?

VZSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Anyone replaced a starter on a VZ ls2 at all? Is it straight in and out or do you need to remove a manifold and steering rack?

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
you don't need to remove the manifold and steering rack, they are just a royal #### to maneuver around them and undo the wiring, install the wiring and get it back into position.

It's a much much easier job if you remove the header.

VZSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Dam lol wanted it to go straight in... its on the drivers side hey? cant even see it..

20151216_171626.jpg

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
lol yea its down there underneath a heatsheild which is bolted to the gearbox/engine block and clipped to the starter motor solenoid.

But yea easiest and fastest way is to remove the header if it gets passed the steering shaft and swap it and put it back in :p

VZSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
All done, just had to take the extractor, dip stick off and unbolt the exhaust from the cat to give enough movement, she starts wikid now. Got the starter from ebay for $185 delivered too, saved heaps! ;)

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
hopefully your not doing it again anytime soon, those cheap ebay starters are cheap for a reason, they tend to die real quickly and cant handle heat from the exhaust real well, hopefully you got a decent one.

VZSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Yer I hope so too lol, oh well I know how to do it now, I was quoted $499 for a genuine one and looking at the one I took out and the new one there isnt much difference, it should be ok as the car only does short trips otherwise I wasted $185 and a couple hours ;)