Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shuddering when accelerating and a Tapping noise in the engine.

KyleeJC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vz SV6 2005
Hi everyone Im new to the forum.
My name is Kylee and I own a 2005 (built in December 2004)
Vz sv6 alloytec 190 kW commodore.
Ive had the car for 11 years now and just as it clocked over 120,000 kms it started shuddering when accelerating over 80 to 90kms p/h on a trip to Renmark. I was due for a service now so we took it to the the motorhouse here in Mildura they test drove it 2 to 3 times and couldn't figure it out. I recently had put petrol in the car from a different service station that I don't usually go to and they said it may be that so they put injector cleaner into the petrol tank and we waited.
They said it may be the spark plugs and leads but due to the Easter break I've had to wait till next week.
But it's now making a tapping sound when the engine is turned on and it makes horrible sounds when the steering wheel turns going around corners and especially through roundabouts.
Does anyone have any idea of what these issues could be.
Thanks in advance.

ThunderVZ0410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ute Thunder S
Maybe check the power steering rack boots for any leaks or seeping

routier1642

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6
Yes, check power steering fluid level, pump and steering rack.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Hi everyone Im new to the forum.
My name is Kylee and I own a 2005 (built in December 2004)
Vz sv6 alloytec 190 kW commodore.
Ive had the car for 11 years now and just as it clocked over 120,000 kms it started shuddering when accelerating over 80 to 90kms p/h on a trip to Renmark. I was due for a service now so we took it to the the motorhouse here in Mildura they test drove it 2 to 3 times and couldn't figure it out. I recently had put petrol in the car from a different service station that I don't usually go to and they said it may be that so they put injector cleaner into the petrol tank and we waited.
They said it may be the spark plugs and leads but due to the Easter break I've had to wait till next week.
But it's now making a tapping sound when the engine is turned on and it makes horrible sounds when the steering wheel turns going around corners and especially through roundabouts.
Does anyone have any idea of what these issues could be.
Thanks in advance.

The Alloytec V6 doesn't actually have Spark Plug leads so be wary of any workshop trying to bill you for same. Good luck.

KyleeJC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vz SV6 2005
Sounds like a dead coil pack

Hi AdventraAddict when I brought my car after 6 months Holden did a recall after it started shaking and spitting black crap out of the exhaust. They had put faulty coil packs in a certain amount of Commodores from the batch my car was made in. They replaced it under warranty after abusing me and saying it was my fault because I didn't buy my car locally. I brought it from Melbourne and they hated that.

KyleeJC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vz SV6 2005
Hi hotblack thanks for replying. The motorhouse said there were no fault codes but I don't know if I believe them seeing they didn't put much effort into looking at my car even after I had booked it in.

KyleeJC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vz SV6 2005
Thanks Benboy I really appreciate you providing me with this information. I believe they certainly would rip me off if they could.

KyleeJC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Vz SV6 2005
Thanks routier1642 the power steering fluid was almost empty when I replaced the power steering fluid, coolant and oil filter and oil. They have all been changed and I put the injector cleaner in a couple of tanks of petrol.