Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WL Caprice seat not reclining

hsvmaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Stato, VX HSV R8 , VT Clubby
Hi

my WL caprice drivers seat is not reclining

i am assuming its the switch or the motor [ as the forward / front and rear tilts are working so not fuse / electrics ]

can this switch be swapped out with my statesman donors one? it doesnt have the numbers / memory sports the caprice one does - is that just in the switch box? or is that another box under the seat for the memory spots etc or part of the switch box?

can the tilt motor be swapped out too from the statesman seat? or a commodore seat with tilt?

any other tips with the seat controls / motors etc any thoughts on how to test for either fault? or any other faults it could be

many thanks in advance :)

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
I suggest that you check that appropriate fuse is OK and then check that all of the wiring is still in place.

hsvmaster

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Stato, VX HSV R8 , VT Clubby
ok thanks.. even though the other functions are working on the seat [ as above]

ill check all the wires again.. any particular or anyone have photos of where the connections are?

thanks again :)

Aubz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WL Caprice V8
I've got the same problem with mine, and from what I've researched, it's not that uncommon for the motors to fail after a period of time.

Easiest way to check whether it's the motor or the switch, gain access to the recline motor by removing the seat pocket panel from the rear of the seat, make up a jumper cable to extend the passenger side (assuming that's working) cable from the motor across to the drivers side motor and see then if you can recline the seat using the passenger side controls.
If you want to test the switch, reverse the setup so that the jumper cable runs from drivers side wiring across to passenger side recline motor.

Most common failure is with the brushes in the electric motor.

All in all a relatively simple task to replace the brushes if you've got a bit of knowledge with electric motors, once you can source something that'll fit; hobby shops would be the best place to start.

There's a video on youtube showing the same kinda thing happening on a US car using the same seat motor and how he fixed it.

Replacement motors are very hard to source, unless you've got a donor car, and to get it new, you've gotta buy the whole frame of the seat at about $1200.