Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz ss cold start ticking

JJH08

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz ss 6.0l
So this morning I started work at 2am and was kind of cold started the car to let I warm up and heard some loud ticking noise this concerned me as I have heard that the 6l is kind of a pain with the dod lifters and kind of scared me so I started searching around for the noise it was coming from the rh rocker cover but after 5 mins of looking the car was warm and the noise stopped
Now the motor was serviced recently with hpr 5w 40(oil is not low either) and the motor has done 163xxx if that would help

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Throw some Slick 50 or other PTFE (Teflon) additive in your oil if its a bit of gumming in your lifters this will fix it...

JJH08

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz ss 6.0l
It only did it the other morning when it was cold I might change oil and see how it goes ,if not good will through some in

petern64

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 6lt , 2017 Mustang GT , 2021 BT50 SP
welcome to LS world , my VZ SS 60L did and still does occasionally lifter "tick" , I started using a semi synthetic 15- 40 engine oil which has pretty much cleared all lifter ticking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Yup they all do it ... I swear by Slick 50 but its not cheap... Mines 260K now no tick original everything... started the tick at 95K but Slick fixed it...

JJH08

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz ss 6.0l
Ok so I'm going to order it tonight $48 from ebay what is better slick 50 or moly slip in not worried about the price difference as if the lifter becomes stuffed its going to cost more than 48

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Ok so I'm going to order it tonight $48 from ebay what is better slick 50 or moly slip in not worried about the price difference as if the lifter becomes stuffed its going to cost more than 48

Dont honestly know... Ive used slick 50 for 25 years in everything I own

JJH08

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 vz ss 6.0l
Thanks for your help I went with the slick 50 how long does it take before it will start working once I put it in, I'm also going to do a oil change once I receive it and use it with fresh oil and will also put a upper engine cleaner as well will update once its in

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Thanks for your help I went with the slick 50 how long does it take before it will start working once I put it in, I'm also going to do a oil change once I receive it and use it with fresh oil and will also put a upper engine cleaner as well will update once its in
As long as it takes to warm up....