Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

When were the new timing chains used?

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
At the moment I'm trying to help my brother in law find a car for when he turns 18. As he will be on P's it has the be a V6, and because he is difficult he wants a one tonner, which leaves a VY o a VZ. Having owned Ecotecs, LS1's and a 6L, I know nothing about alloytech other than that service history is important to avoid sludging, and they have timing chain issues.

so my question is, what build dates should i look for to get a good timing chain? or was it not fixed until the VE? When test driving what are the symptoms to look for? And apart from the sellers word, is there a way to tell if the chain has already been replaced?

Thanks

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
The timing chains in the engine numbers listed below are prone to stretch, it's a known design fault and was rectified in a manufacturing revision from - Engine Number: H071380576 Eng Built Date: 18/05/07

Timing Chain Stretch and/or DTC’s P0008, P0009, P0016, P0017, P0018 , P0019 – VZ, VE, WL, WM, CG, RA, with HFV6.

Important Note:

This condition, in isolated cases, only affects the
7.7 mm pitch timing chain installed in engines
built after the following engine numbers:

H053340001 VZ@VE, VE, WL, WM
H051530001 CG
H051580001 RA

The 9.525 mm pitch timing chain installed in
earlier HFV6 engines is not affected.
Quote from Holden TL1551 – 0804

The 'beauty' of this fault is that it will usually present itself just out of the 3yr 100,000km warranty period. Suffice to say that statutory warranty exists for a reason and consumer affairs would probably be interested to hear from anyone who had to pay to have a manufacturing fault repaired on a vehicle that isn't even 5 years old yet. Holden customer assistance will organise a refund for anyone who has had to pay for this repair to be carried out in most cases.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Wouldn't touch an alloyfail if you paid me. Well maybe if it had an impeccable service history.

Husky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII L67 Berlina Wagon and VEIISSV M6 Sportswagon
Wouldn't touch an alloyfail if you paid me. Well maybe if it had an impeccable service history.

Neither would I, I'm hoping I can find a VY one tonner for that reason. or talk him into a normal ute so he can go late VE1.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Even VE Series 1 had a fair few issues though. Both mechanically and electrically.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
It is all blown a little outa proportion... My VZ Alloytec 190 has 250,000 kms no oil leaks and runs like a swiss watch... Honestly cant tell its 250K other than on dashboard..

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Spelling error

It is all blown a little outa proportion... My VZ Alloytec 190 has 250,000 kms no oil leaks and runs like a swiss watch... Honestly cant tell its 250K other than on dashboard..

of course it has , some people just can't help themselves , like all cars , either a ecotec , LS1 , or whatever , they all have their quirks and problems , if they have been maintained and looked after , you shouldn't have any worries .

Last edited:

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
My vz one tonner alloytec is doing fine , timing chains seem perfect and I pulled the rocker covers just for curiosity . No sludging to be seen .
Only problem I have had was one coil pack was starting to die , and the heater tap had a small leak .
other then that drives fine , and feels like it has more power then my ecotec did when I was on my P's years ago .

Just make sure the engine is well looked after and they are fine.

steveyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ V6 wagon
Mine's on 201,XXX and no serious issues. If you get one that's already done 100K+ the timing chain and fuel lines (they also apparently had a leak issue early on) would most likely have already been replaced if there was ever gonna be an issue. Like everyone else said, if it's well serviced it'll probably be fine.