Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Alloytec Intermittent engine shutdown.

Mattyb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive Wagon
Hi all, just asking the question with regards to my VZ's intermittent total system shutdown .....VERY SCARY in highway cycle .
Car had sat for a couple of years with only 80000 on the clock , so Cherry condition.
No Code issues
Revisited visible Earth points (have we missed some ??)
Changed out one hot relay.
Still cuts out , sometimes on startup .....sometimes whilst driving .....:bomb:
Any feedback from those in the know would be muchly appreciated.
Cheers

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
What symptoms does the engine show when shutting down?
Instant stop.
Missing etc.
Lights head, parkers, instrument stop working etc.

Restarting
Does it miss, crank for long period etc.?

Have you correct and reliable reliable fuel pump pressure? Probably need a pressure gauge to check it out.

Are the earths on the side of each cylinder head secure etc. They look after each banks ignition coils earthing. Corrosion etc.?

Battery voltage is about 14.2 at all times when engine running? Maybe the battery is stuffed from being non charged for a long period.

Now for the bad one.
The ECU in the VZ is notorious for failing when it has been powered down for a period of time. Some ECUs are intermittently faulty after a 2 week downtime.
Check the ECU earth and reseat the two Delphi plugs on the ECU carefully. Don't get them mixed up.

Good luck.

Mattyb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive Wagon
Hey thanks for the solid feedback ,with regards to the symptoms ,its instant TOTAL shutdown ,requiring a restart ,with no engine miss and normal re ignition .

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
Hello Matt
Reference to my ECU failure. Bit long winded but it took some weeks to trace and be certain. Personally I think the problem is some type of electrolysis/corrosion around the substrate areas.
The comments about the ECUs being suspect came from the guys who supplied the new ECU. There are other references to the ECU failing for no good reason on the JC site.
From memory, others report a display about the ABS failure and some other faulty conditions.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...dle-sv6-auto-5-speed-evap-oxygen-sensors.html

To get a feel of what a ECU can do type - VZ ecu failure - into the search box.

Last edited:

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
I had a similar issue on an Audi A3 once. Complete shutdown when overtaking on the highway, scary. Turns out it was the fuel pump.

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
I had a similar issue on an Audi A3 once. Complete shutdown when overtaking on the highway, scary. Turns out it was the fuel pump.

Yep I would agree sound like a fuel pump issue.
I've had similar problem with older commodores when left sitting for a while.