Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Common engine faults/sensors etc

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hi Guys.

Looking to get a VZ Commodore, from having my VS I remember all sorts of things were failing on it which would leave me stuck on the road.
Crank angle sensors, DFI Modules constantly dying, failed coilpacks you name it.

I'm going to get something low KM, about 100,000km. I want to know what things on the engine, electrical system commonly can fail that can cause the engine to fail or leave you stuck on the road. What else should I be replacing to give a decent time of trouble free driving?

I'm thinking of replacing Fuel pump, crank and cam sensors and all EFI related relays and accessory belt.

Are timing chain guide failures known to cause skipped teeth or damaged engines or just a rattle?

Is there anything else I should know about the VZ there doesn't appear to be anything to look out for while doing my research?

Last edited:

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hi Guys.

Looking to get a VZ Commodore, from having my VS I remember all sorts of things were failing on it which would leave me stuck on the road.
Crank angle sensors, DFI Modules constantly dying, failed coilpacks you name it.

I'm going to get something low KM, about 100,000km. I want to know what things on the engine, electrical system commonly can fail that can cause the engine to fail or leave you stuck on the road. What else should I be replacing to give a decent time of trouble free driving?

I'm thinking of replacing Fuel pump, crank and cam sensors and all EFI related relays and accessory belt.

Are timing chain guide failures known to cause skipped teeth or damaged engines or just a rattle?

Is there anything else I should know about the VZ there doesn't appear to be anything to look out for while doing my research?

Bought my first VZ in 2009 ex Govt from auction for $10000, v6 wagon auto with 110000 k's on it, over 5 years it needed a battery and set of plugs + pads and rotors.
Also one coil, fan belt tensioner and heater valve as well as oil pressure switch. Sold for $6900 march last year with 140000 k,s on it.

Present VZ v6 auto wagon also ex Govt bought private march 2015 with 148000 k's on it for $5000 has had battery, plugs and coils, rear shocks.

Wife's VZ ex police v6 sedan with 150000 k's on it has had battery and plugs in 2 years.
Had to change the hard police seats to softer version because wife suffered sciatica from the hard drivers seat.
It was lowered and she could not keep tyres up to the 20" rims with big camber, so, after talking her out of buying Hyundai I30, I have since raised it up to standard with all new FE 2 suspension, drives beautiful now.

So all in all, I don't think I have spent that much keeping them on the road, of course I do more k's than her in my wagon.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Thanks for your reply mate, it helps put things into perspective. I guess without being a Holden Dealer Mechanic who see's these things day in day out it's hard for me to know.

I'd appreciate any other guys inputs especially the good and bad also, trying to find more info on the timing chain common fault, I only really want to replace the parts that actually fail or result in the failure rather than doing brand new chains, gears etc.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I've had my VZ for more than three years now and I'm very happy with it. I'm at about 160,000kms at the moment. In the time I've had it I've had to replace the radiator and battery. The other problem was with one of the injectors that caused the "Check Powertrain" warning.

My advice FWIW if you want to avoid being stuck on the side of the road, change the battery. The other issues I had were pot luck. My mechanic told me that the problem with the fuel injector was caused by dodgy fuel. Luckily it was only a $210 fix. The radiator is a luck of the draw thing. I asked other members on the forum the life expectancy of radiators and got a range of different answers.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Thanks for the input mate you are of a great help. I would like to hear from anybody else with their VZ ownership, thanks guys.
Has anybody had sensors or modules go, things that will just bang leave you on the road this is what I'm trying to replace as it was common in Ecotec.
I'd like to hear more personal experiences from you guys or any mechanics private owners or whatever, it appears like a reliable car from what you guys are saying.

I'm thinking only thing to change is fuel pump.

timmy201

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
I've had my car almost 18months (from 90,000km to 110,000) and I've had the radiator and water pump replaced. It also needed a new radiator cap as the old one was leaking. Apart from that it's been fine

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
What is the go with the timing chain tensioners failing. Some have said the chain stretches itself causing failure, but I cant see how a stretched chain puts more load, it should put less load on the tensioner as it has more slack. I know this is apparently a costly fix but I want to know what actually is the weak part that gives way, the chain or the guides/tensioner ?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
A range of engines had a fault with timing chain... All failed before 100,000 anything over that is prolly good or already fixed... Wouldn't be many left that have it waiting....

Alloytec V6 engines: stretched timing chains
In January 2006, 7.7 mm inverted tooth timing chains were introduced for the LE0, LW2 and LY7 Alloytec V6 engines, replacing 9.5 mm pitch roller chains. For some – but not all – of these timing chains, the chain links were not manufactured in accordance with design specifications and the chains could become elongated (also known as ‘stretched timing chains’). According to GM Bulletin H08-0601-01, chain elongation was expected to occur in early engine life (i.e. 10,000 kms to 20,000 kms). There have, however, been reports of timing chain elongation occurring at significantly higher kilometres.

Elongation of the timing chains would cause,
•the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL or ‘Check Engine’ light) to illuminate; and
•the ECU to log fault codes P0008, P0009, P0016, P0017, P0018 and P0019 which indicated that camshafts on either bank of the engine were misaligned with the crankshaft.

The V6 engines with timing chains susceptible to elongation were produced from January 2006 to engine build date 18 May 2007 (18/5/2007); this production range corresponded to engine numbers between H053340001 and H071380576.

The typical chain elongation observed was a minimum of 3 mm on a doubled-up chain. Where the timing chains had become elongated, they had to be replaced. The idlers, guiders and tensioners, however, did not require replacement, though the guides should be inspected for any abnormal wear.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Mine has 250,000 kms now and no oil leaks, still runs like a swiss watch and being a 190 has tonnes of go.. I have replaced coils and plugs, fixed a cracked fuel vapor return pipe(caused uneven idle) and 2 radiator caps. Cant say what was done before I got it though..

SVZKen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SVZ Commodore
A range of engines had a fault with timing chain... All failed before 100,000 anything over that is prolly good or already fixed... Wouldn't be many left that have it waiting....

Alloytec V6 engines: stretched timing chains
In January 2006, 7.7 mm inverted tooth timing chains were introduced for the LE0, LW2 and LY7 Alloytec V6 engines, replacing 9.5 mm pitch roller chains. For some – but not all – of these timing chains, the chain links were not manufactured in accordance with design specifications and the chains could become elongated (also known as ‘stretched timing chains’). According to GM Bulletin H08-0601-01, chain elongation was expected to occur in early engine life (i.e. 10,000 kms to 20,000 kms). There have, however, been reports of timing chain elongation occurring at significantly higher kilometres.

Elongation of the timing chains would cause,
•the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL or ‘Check Engine’ light) to illuminate; and
•the ECU to log fault codes P0008, P0009, P0016, P0017, P0018 and P0019 which indicated that camshafts on either bank of the engine were misaligned with the crankshaft.

The V6 engines with timing chains susceptible to elongation were produced from January 2006 to engine build date 18 May 2007 (18/5/2007); this production range corresponded to engine numbers between H053340001 and H071380576.

The typical chain elongation observed was a minimum of 3 mm on a doubled-up chain. Where the timing chains had become elongated, they had to be replaced. The idlers, guiders and tensioners, however, did not require replacement, though the guides should be inspected for any abnormal wear.

I have a 2006 SVZ built 22/05/2006 with engine # H061390193 built 19/05/2006. It falls smack in the middle of the engine numbers you quoted but was built 1 day after those dates ??