Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lowering

ThunderVZ0410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ute Thunder S
So I'm getting King springs and shortened struts put in my v6 thunder s ute tomorrow and just wondering how much of a drop I should expect. It currently has the fe2 suspension and my king springs are low for fronts and super low rear.

And if it is not as low as I want I've heard something about sending the springs back to get them cut down or something??

C B

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VY II Storm Ute
I can't tell you exactly, but Super Low (SL) front and Ultra low rear (SSL) will sit the ute level at 350mm HTG all round.

My ute has FE2 currently (yet to install SL and SSL), and front measures 385mm HTG and rear is 400mm HTG.....
So the springs you are getting would be halfway? in-between the 350mm and FE2 height I would assume.

If it's not low enough, they would send you lower coils, not cut them :)

Hope that's helped.

ThunderVZ0410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ute Thunder S
Thanks for that :) might post some pics up tomorrow after they've been put in and decide what to do from there

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
So I'm getting King springs and shortened struts put in my v6 thunder s ute tomorrow and just wondering how much of a drop I should expect. It currently has the fe2 suspension and my king springs are low for fronts and super low rear.

And if it is not as low as I want I've heard something about sending the springs back to get them cut down or something??

King Springs
Lows you drop approximately 30mm and Super Lows approximately 50 mm.
Remember these are below the vehicles standard height. If your suspension is a little sagged already you won't get the exact 30 & 50 mm drop from the vehicles current height

ThunderVZ0410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ute Thunder S
When you say standard height are you referring to fe2 as standard or?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
When you say standard height are you referring to fe2 as standard or?

Standard Height = Whatever height it was when it rolled off the production line at the factory (standard original condition)

ThunderVZ0410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ute Thunder S
So this is it after one day, I don't mind it but I wouldn't mind it a bit lower.. What's everyone's opinion on spring settling? Can I expect them to "settle" and have it drop a bit lower?

20jx8w.jpg

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I like the way it sits as it is and I would be happy with it. You can at least still put a decent load in the back of it and bugger off for a weekend.
I've never been a fan of the drop it so low that the wheel/tyre is up into the wheel arch and you can't see any tyre look that seems to be so popular nowadays.
But that's just my personal tastes. Each to their own
The springs will settle in time, but I don't know how much lower it will make it. Somebody else may be able to give you an idea on that.

My 1 Tonner looks like a Landcruiser ute. Gotta stay that way but unfortunately, it only just clears on our driveway now :censored:

Last edited:

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Ute looks good to from what I can see............Black on black is wicked :thumbsup:
So stop teasing and throw some more pics up

ThunderVZ0410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ute Thunder S
Yeah I don't mind it, I wasn't really going for really low anyway just to close the gap up a bit