Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Under Bumper Towbar

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Ive been trying to chase up some info to no avail so hopefully someone else will know or have some info for this.

I'm trying to chase up who makes a towbar that goes under a VZ Clubsport bumper and not through it like most designs out there.
have seen a few cars out there with them but that's about as far as the info goes.

If it helps, it doesn't need much of a load rating as at most it would only be for something like a bike rack (no trailers would be towed)
Just want to chase down who makes them to have one that wouldn't end up requiring to cut through a rear bumper.

Thanks

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
I think my Towbar is a Boronia brand on my SV6. About 1600kg from memory. Fitted in 2005, maybe something for a Clubsport is available?

I don't know the profile of a Clubsport's v's SV6 rear shaping etc. in relationship to clearances etc.

Maybe they can help you out

BTA Towing Equipment About Us

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
thanks for the replies.

still hoping that there may be an option out there without having to go down the "custom" path though.

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy
I thought the clubby rear bar would hang to low too go under it,

Also get a thread up , about the beast already

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
if you find such a fitment ask if they give warranty for use with bike rack ???

Most class 2 - 3 - 4 towbars are designed around standard bumper profiles , HSV's Clubsports have different bumper profiles undertrays and more than likely will require a bumper cut to one or both items .

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
for those wondering what im looking for (have contacted them and am waiting on a reply)
youll see that it does go under and not through and this one is rated to 1200kgs

11417300_674908212642995_1604464340_n.jpg

also what do you mean about warranty?
as in the manufacturer gives a warranty or as in it voids insurance or something else?

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
if you read the stickers and labels that come with most towbars they read something like " towing purposes only "

towbars are designed and tested for towing with the load applied directly to the towball ,adding a bike rack moves the weight from the ball up and away increasing the twisting torque applied to the towbar tongue , mounting points and floor pan .

dealt with a few claims for such misuse of towbars from overloading to using it for recovery or tie down points or jacking points ...

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
ahk makes sense about the loading of it etc.
fulcrum point and the weight at a greater distance etc.

all up its probably going to be 1 or 2 10kg bikes and the weight of the rack, some designs actually keep the weight down very low, will also have to look into that.

might have to start going to a few places that fit them to see if they have much knowledge on such a style.

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
IMG_1515m.jpg
Found an image of my Towbar, maybe helps?
Boronia Towbar on SV6.