Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rough idle

StarkusVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
My VZ SV6 is idling rough when I pull up at lights. It seems to run fine when the accelerator is depressed and under load. get it above idle speed and all ok.
I have taken it to 3 mechanics and so far it is not fixed. New plugs, Throttle body cleaned, Coil packs and crank angle sensors tested.
Does any body have any ideas? I took it to Holden and they could not find anything but suggested a $5000 repair. eg valve stem seals and heads etc.
They tested the compression etc and it was all ok.
It just seems to do it when it is hot and idling. Worse with A/C running. No problem under load. Please help.

Thanks

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Maybe check the fuel trims and see if you don't have a rich or lean condition

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Cheapest things first...
Injector cleaner added to a tank of fuel could help.
Check the engines vacuum hoses for any air leaks.
Plugs gapped correctly?
Try a higher octane fuel and see if the problem goes away.
Test drive and compare with another VZ.....they're not the smoothest idlers.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Yup I know this one...
Check the pipe off the fuel vapor return solenoid hasn't split.
its on the passenger side bank just above the center coil pack.. Just pop off the hoses around it... unplug the electrical connector on it... slide it off the rubber mount... it has enough wiggle room to slide it out a touch... the pipe going under the plenum is usually the offending item... I has an outer shield just undo the tape and slide it back... see if the inner thin plastic pipe has a split.... if it does pull off the solenoid and slide a length of glue lined heat shrink onto it refit the solenoid and then shrink it down... hey presto no more shakey shakey.... Took me friggin ages to find.... heres a pic too..
coil2.jpg