Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz sv6 auto issues

supercharged-ride

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 Alloytec190
Hello all, I just brought a 2005 vz sv6 on Sunday.
I got the car cheap as it was listed with a buggered auto which i am wondering if it is as bad as what he thought.
I haven't got to get under the car to check the fluid level in the auto yet but i cant see any leaks as far as i can see (that's without putting it on the ramps).

When i first got the car it had been sitting for a few weeks and the battery was flat so i charged it when i got home started it and tried the gears, when i put the throttle down a bit it went into gear and moved sluggish, i tried it today and it went straight into gear and wanted to drive as it should.
I didn't try to drive it more than a couple of meters thow then it stopped moving and wouldn't move again.
I haven't tried it again but this feels like a lack of fluid to me.

Short of checking the fluid could there be another reason??
I don't know much at all about the alloytec auto's could there be a computer fault? or does it sound like the auto is dead.
Even If it is,it's all good as another auto was in my sums when i brought the car, just thinking maybe a easy fix maybe.

Even if the auto gets replaced it will be a good second hand one with myself doing the swap

Any input or info would be appreciated

Last edited:

supercharged-ride

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 Alloytec190
auto dead if you no drive in gears

Yes I know
But yesterday as said above the car wanted to drive as normal for the first minute or so hence this post, or I would have just changed the auto and been done with it.
I have had dead auto's before and this feels different they usually don't work then not then work but slip then not work etc.
I still haven't got to check fluid lever as there is no dipstick in vz's and I haven't had the time to put it on ramps.

I guess I am trying to see if anyone else has had similar symptoms that they resolved eg computer, low fluid, or a safety feature that stops the auto from self destruct.

supercharged-ride

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 Alloytec190
Just a update, I did the full Auto Service and auto came back good as gold not a single issue left.
Lol and I was told by a mechanic it was $3000 to fix.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sad how many people fall for that sealed for life wisdom these days, or is there a scheduled services for the VZ? Either way the poor thing sounds like it never had a service in its life good job reviving it from the brink!!

supercharged-ride

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 Alloytec190
Sad how many people fall for that sealed for life wisdom these days, or is there a scheduled services for the VZ? Either way the poor thing sounds like it never had a service in its life good job reviving it from the brink!!

I think it's every 150,000 or so I have been told.
I got the car cheap really with a stuffed auto or so I was told. The bloke I brought it off was told the auto was stuffed $3000 to fix by his mechanic (so I was told indirectly).
Most autos I have seen have one of 3 states good, slipping or not working at all this jumped between the 3 hence my first post to try to suss others opinion as this is my first alloytec. the fluid was discoloured and down by about 1ltr althow I couldn't find a leak.
Both auto and engine needed a full service now it runs great.
Always helps to get a second opinion even if it ends up being your own
And thank you for the thumbs up so to speak

Last edited: