Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power train light/misfire

ThunderVZ0410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ute Thunder S
So I was driving home this afternoon everything was normal and I wasn't driving the car hard or anything, and then randomly my check powertrain light has come on and car sounds like it is misfiring. Will be taking to mechanics tomorrow but wondering if a possible exhaust leak could be the cause or if anyone has had a similar problem?

ThunderVZ0410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ute Thunder S
Update: took my car to the mechanic this morning and they scanned and got a random misfire, and misfire in cylinder 5, they said that a common thing on the vz's that it's the coil packs causing the code

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I know it seems like a bit of a no brainer but get them to fit new spark plugs while they're at it

ThunderVZ0410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ute Thunder S
Yeah, I've been quoted $695 max for new coil packs and spark plugs, but price could be dropped from labour or quality of my gasket

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
It's not a hard job to fix it yourself from mace you can get plugs ($119)and coils ($170) and a 12mm insulator spacer ($150) so that's a total of $439 then ask them for a discount they will come back with 5% than ask them for a better discount and you might get 8% so that's a total of $403.88 plus postage

My60ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
this happen to my ve ss afew weeks back. put scan tool on car and came up with misfire No7, reset this and drove car. put scan tool on and came No7 again. I changed the spark plug lead with number 8. reset and went for a drive, put scan tool on scanned car and then came up as misfire No4?
so what is the problem hear. i put leads and plugs on less than 4,000kms ago

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
new coil packs 150 on ebay just change plugs check condition of coil packs ie damaged top sealing rubber mine was some how damaged and water had got in there causeing a misfire changed plugs did not use new coilpacks all good now