Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ 6L starter motor replacement

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
Got a L76 vz ss that needs a new starter motor in it.

I've done a search but can't seem to find a definitive answer on whether you need to unbolt the exhaust or the steering rack. Maybe you can go either way?

Sounds like a pain the ass either way but it's gotta be done. Anyone had any experience swapping one out in a vz v8?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated before I just go hooking into it and start pulling **** off my car that I don't need to

Cheers

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
How did you go with this?

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
Since no one offered any help I just hooked into it.

Pulled spark plugs/leads, removed dipstick, unbolted headers from cat pipe and pulled the manifold off.

Starter motor itself came off easily once all that **** was out of the way

Took about 3 hours (taking my sweet time)

SSFUNKEL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX 202, VR BT1, VZ SS 6.0 GEN IV
Yep absolute pain in the ass considering a VT VX can be done in around 20 Minutes. Just to cautionary note to anyone out there, NOT to do what I done! I Bought a starter a couple years ago (waiting for when mine does the inevitable) $320+ Bosch one it has a push/pin type blade for the ignition plug. The L76 6.0/Gen IV (whatever you want to call it) Has a threaded plug with a nut for a loop style plug connector for both the Large Main Pos+ AND for the small Ignition one! I have extractors so it's even more of a pain in the ass to fit ya hands in there. (The extractors don't come out unless ya remove the Steering Shaft as well unlike removing the original exhaust manifold). I'm not chopping any wires and crimping a female blade plug on there that may come off from Vibration etc in future. If you want to keep your original wiring harness in tact be sure to get a Starter with a threaded nut for the loop plug on the Ign cable. Now the c##ts at the store won't return it so I'm stuck with a starter I'm not using. If you took it into a workshop they'd just cut and crimp ya wiring loom. I want mine remain intact and original. But Yeah most fun I've had changing a simple F##king starter motor! Haha. The small heat shield on top is great fun to wiggle out as well. I had to turn my entire starter around half a dozen times to maneuver it out through the Front. Was almost more work by not removing the Steering shaft. But yeah remove battery, Dipstick, Ign leads, + Plus plugs if you don't want to break a plug with the Headers knocking them! (They're not cheap + then you have 1 new one and 7 old ones! That may be my OCD) Unbolt extractors from the cat, And possibly undo the O2 Sensor (Or at least be careful with the cable of it Or you'll be replacing that as well.) And have fun getting to the Small Ign Plug (Think it's an 7-8mm nut) My main Positive nut was i think the main problem with my starter, the thread shaft out of the Solanoid felt loose, but it almost felt as though it was cross threaded on I started wondering if i was even getting it undone or if the whole thread was turning inside the solanoid! Having it out the car you could see how it could possibly work intermittently as it wobbles so much. (Although on the car it felt bolted on solid, it may have been loose internally.) Have a decent light handy as you may need it for quite a while. Hope this may help someone. Probably missed 3 other things you need to remove. Lol. Good luck n Have fun. Hope ya have small hands.