Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

New Monroe GT Sports Struts Squeeking

lowndes8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I just fitted new Monroe GT Sport struts and king springs to the front of my car. Rear already had the same kit fitted. I used new struts tops and well (genuine)

But now only over certains bumps the car make a squeeking sound. Never did it before with my old ones

One thing i didnt do which i will fix on the weekend is use the new 19/20mm bolts supplied with the Monroe shocks

I have tighten the tops bolts that hold the strut tops down with my rattle gun.

Anyone know what the issue could be?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Have you considered the noise could be coming from other suspension components (bushes) etc ! By the way, tightening with a 'rattle gun' may not be in the best interest as it is possible that you may have over tightened the nuts. Holden recommend 50-60NM for the top locating plate nuts and 70-85NM for the top bearing retaining nut.

lowndes8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Hi,

I have but seeing the noise has only started since i installed the new shocks im assuming its them.

Thanks for that i will check the settings

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Is the ride height the same before and after fitting the new springs and struts.
If it is lower then like benboy said it could indeed be from another bush.
Also make sure the strut bearing didnt come apart during assembly as they can cause squeaking if not seated properly.
Going over parking station speed humps mine has more of groan than a sqeak and it turns out the front urethane bush for the radius rod is the culprit.
I need to pull apart and regrease.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Have you considered the noise could be coming from other suspension components (bushes) etc ! By the way, tightening with a 'rattle gun' may not be in the best interest as it is possible that you may have over tightened the nuts. Holden recommend 50-60NM for the top locating plate nuts and 70-85NM for the top bearing retaining nut.

Never used a tension wrench when I've replaced suspension components....Always used a rattle gun, even on customers cars....

I have struck before, where people have rattled down the bearing plates, where they aren't actually tight, as the insert has been spinning....This can cause noises....So I'd suggest, just check that the nut is actually tight first.

The noise might even be coming from the spring rubber...That's the one that goes inbetween the spring and the top plate....Check that that rubber is actually between the plate and spring and hasn't shifted, causing noises....Very common having that rubber move, during spring replacement.

So there's a couple of things to check