Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS rough idle/missing at low revs

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
After replacing the start motor on my L76 VZ I have developed a rough idle (tacho needle surging up and down slightly) and it seems to be down a cylinder before about 2k revs

I pulled all the plugs and leads to get at the starter and put a new set of leads on when I reinstalled everything. I have since removed all the spark plugs and checked the gaps and cleaned them and it all seems about right. I did drop a couple of the plugs during the starter replacement but the gap seemed right on them according to my ghetto feeler gauge (about 1.05mm).

It's not throwing any codes at me but it's definitely running rough as **** only since the starter went in.

I've done a search and people seem to think it could be the o2 sensors despite not getting a code. The o2 sensor pre cat on the drivers side did cop quite a manhandling trying to get my chunky hands in there to undo the exhaust flange nuts. But seeing as both plugs and o2 sensors are expensive I don't want to just start throwing parts at it.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar thing and how they got it sorted.

Cheers

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
No one knows anything ay

Throwing parts it is

Freedon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
spark plugs and leads, ive had dud spark plugs that looked fine ( and only 8000km old ), ls's tend to be picky with leads, id recommend delco or msd.

macca234

Reaction score
Members Ride
'06 VZ SS 6L
Just as an update, now my traction control is stuck off. Drove it this morning and got a check powertrain light (p0308) which means misfire in cylinder number 8.

I'm guessing number 8 is drivers side near the firewall, anyone care to confirm this

Will have to wait til it cools down to change out the plug and we'll see what happens then

If that don't fix it I'll chuck in a new o2 sensor I suppose

nicau1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina
Tried replacing the coil packs? Mine was doing the same thing after we changed the starter motor and the problem was the coil packs for the spark plugs. Bought 6 new plugs and 6 new coil packs and now runs as good as new.