Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz major coolant leak top of engine

BigMick02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equipe 2005
Hey,
My vz has a serious problem. Its leaking quiet a lot of coolant, its coming from just under the metal air intake and leaking down onto the belt and bottom engine block. Would this mean there is a crack in the top of the engine block, because I think after the radiator cap going back towards the engine, that pipe is all metal? Has anyone has this problem before, is it fixable or is it the end of the poor vz, its only done 200k.

HQ2VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
there is two bolts that hold it on and a two rubber seals behind it one is round and the other is that weird squarish one
92068252-2.jpg

ThunderVZ0410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ute Thunder S
Under the throttle body is where the water pump sits, might be that.

BigMick02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equipe 2005
thanks guys. I did some extra research and I think the problem are those rubber seals as the leak is a bit higher then the water pump. So to get the the seals do I have to take of the inlet manifold on top of the engine, and if so does tht gasket need to be replaced as well?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
there is two bolts that hold it on and a two rubber seals behind it one is round and the other is that weird squarish one
92068252-2.jpg

Genuine replacement seals from Holden (highly recommended) cost about $65.00. No you don't have to remove the intake manifold. The bolts are a bit fiddly to get to but it can be done without too much loss of skin. Good luck.

BigMick02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Equipe 2005
just an update, I took the intake manifold off and got a better look at the situation. It looks like it is the water pump after all and the belt was flicking coolant up the the inlet pipe then leaking back down, so the leak wasn't the seals on the coolant inlet. So I'm going to replace the pump. Shame because I brought the seals online just before for $20 (I was certain that was where the leak was), so I think I will replace the seals while I have the manifold off.