Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steam (like burnt oil) from engine...

arozvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
VZ wagon: We recently replaced the radiator to fix the overheating problem, still have waterpump to do. Then the "check oil" light kept coming on. Found a thread on here re: oil pressure sender, so changed oil, filter and oil pressure sender. Haven't had the check oil light come on but steam/smoke (like burnt oil) was coming from the left-hand side of engine after a moderate 30 minute drive. Has done this once before when the check oil light first came on. No overheating, well at least the car didn't tell me, no oil or water coolant leaking. No discolouring of oil or water. Much appreciate your input.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
VZ wagon: We recently replaced the radiator to fix the overheating problem, still have waterpump to do. Then the "check oil" light kept coming on. Found a thread on here re: oil pressure sender, so changed oil, filter and oil pressure sender. Haven't had the check oil light come on but steam/smoke (like burnt oil) was coming from the left-hand side of engine after a moderate 30 minute drive. Has done this once before when the check oil light first came on. No overheating, well at least the car didn't tell me, no oil or water coolant leaking. No discolouring of oil or water. Much appreciate your input.

Possible you lost some oil down the side when fitting oil pressure switch.

Degrease and run the engine to see if it occurs again.

arozvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I was very careful not to spill any oil and the steam is coming from the opposite side to where you fill it. Forgot to mention degreased and pressure hosed already.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Don't know how it could be related to the oil light but the steam could be from a coolant leak around the thermostat/housing on the back of the engine or the stupid big pipe that runs from the radiator to the thermostat.... If you've had overheating troubles i wouldn't be surprised if its leaking coolant around there somewhere now.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Your initial post stated steam/smoke(like burnt oil) coming from the left side of engine.

On the left (passenger side) of the engine you have the oil pressure switch you replaced, and the oil filter and the oil filler, as well as the power steering pump/bottle/hoses, and anyone of these could leak oil.

Also consider, oil will usually run out the hole while you have the pressure switch removed.

On the right(drivers side) of the engine you have the heater tap up high at the rear along with the connecting coolant hoses which could leak coolant.

You stated you still have to replace the water pump, and if it is leaking, I have seen pumps leak and run along the sump to the rear of the engine where they drip onto the exhaust.