Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Skipped timing chain and poped a rocker

slykoala

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
Hi all,

Im trying to sort out some rough running issues with my parents VZ Adventra with the LY7 3.6L V6. I suspected coils or plugs so i changed them and made no difference and ran even worse. I put the old coils back and it still ran like crap. Took it to the mechanic and he said its probably skipped the timing chain but its not a cheap job so im having a go at it. I confirmed that its 2 teeth out but i also found that the rocker on one of the exhaust valves on cylinder one has come off.

Im about to order a new chain kit but before spending the money id like to ensure theres no valve damage and why that one rocker could have popped of. Does anyone know if this is an interference engine? and if 2 teeth out would allow the valves to contact the pistons?

Does anyone have the torque specs and sequence for the cams?

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

slykoala

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
Thanks,

Iv'e already got that guide and MACE are the guys I was already looking at getting the kit from. Definitely the cheapest I could find. I have no concern with doing the chain job I just don't want to spend the money and then find out I need to do a valve job or drop a used engine in.

My scan tool shows no codes at all.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
How did you find out that it had jumped a couple of teeth? The reason I ask is I think my car has done the same thing except no damage values that I know of

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
These things run a zero deck height and are interference engines big time. If it's broken a rocker it's definitely piston to valve contact, if there's definitely contact it's ####ed. Needs an engine.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
YUP lots of wrecker 190kw motors around... That one is toast... grab a full motor then you have lots of spares to keep or sell and recover money..
Will cost you less that way anyway... just make sure you get an Adventra motor (accessories brackets and sump are all unique) and if its an 06 you need an 06 engine....

slykoala

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
I know its skipped because i have the timing cover off and ive lined up the marks and the dot on the crank gear is 2 teeth away from the coloured tooth on the chain.

The rocker isnt broken its just come off the top of the valve and lifter. It was just sitting in the corner of the head. The other exhaust valve on the cylinder still has its rocker in place but i would assume a decent bit of force would be needed to dislodge one.

Ive been trying to find an air fitting to do a leak down test of sorts to see what kind of leakage there is through the valves but havent been able to yet.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Could mine be skipped teeth with error codes p0366 & p0391

I've already changed the camsharft position sensors and cleaned the actuators

The car sounds different and lacks power