Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ V6 vs VY V6, Calais

RIP 05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ sedan
looking at buying a vy v6 Calais or a vz v6 Calais, as a daily. May also look at berlinas. ideal would like something with less than 180,000km

have read a few ordinary things about the alloytec not being as powerful low down, not as strong, and issues with timing chains.

Ive owned 1 3.8 vy before and quite a few LS1s, but not an alloytec. Thoughts on the two would be appreciated.

R

Risky

You only need to do a search on here regarding the LY7 engine & it's pros & cons.

You also have to remember that you're looking at vehicles in the 11-14 year old age bracket where the kms will be high. The L36 engine in the VY has been tried & proven since 1961 & updated ever since.

I did a quick search on carsales & came up with this VY Calais at just under 70,000kms in WA that has well been looked after. It looks well equipped & well worth a look 2004 Holden Calais VY II Auto.

Some VE Calais are hitting the market but the kms are high & from the 2 I saw on carsales, may have had some abuse.

Holden still stock about 85% of parts & eBay will have Holden NOS & 2nd hand parts available which are cheap when comparing imports.

Do the usual checks when looking but make sure it hasn't been thrashed by a P plater & that the bodywork is straight. Regular servicing is a big key factor.

Good luck.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Go with a vy for sure. You'll have a hard time killing an ecotec, and they don't mind the cheap $10 oil. They have much more torque right off idle where you need it, are more reliable and are cheaper/easier to maintain and fix when something does go wrong.

Fuel economy doesn't seem to be too different between the two, probably because the smaller engine needs to be revved harder to yield the same result.

RIP 05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ sedan
Thanks for the replies. After also talking with others, I've decided to stay with the trusty 3.8, just need to decide whether I go a factory supercharged one or not??? Won't be anything modified.