Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Wagon speakers in Tailgate

Capt Baldman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon
Hi All,

Has anyone mounted speakers in the tailgate of a VZ Wagon? I seek your wisdom if so!
I've got a couple of 6"x9" Oval 3 ways which were in the rear parcel shelf of a VT sedan plus an Amp.
Guy at Autobarn recommends Amp under front pax seat, replace front door speakers with better quality 6" and put the 6x9's in that tailgate facing forward.
I like the idea, but if i put the 6x9's on the outside of the tailgate it only just stays up, a little wind or some wear on the struts and I'm not confident the tailgate would remain open.
Would i be better to just replace all 4 door speakers with better ones plus the Amp? or, smaller 6" round in tailgate? Assume Oval won't fit in doors.

Thanks

steveyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ V6 wagon
I'm doing my wagon sound system at the moment and I was thinkin of doing this too. Now I'm thinking 6inch splits in the front, 3way 6inch in the rear doors, and a decent sub in the back. 6x9s are good for better bass but if you go a sub then you don't really need em. You can get decent slim body subs if you carry a lot of stuff. I'm getting a slim one to fit between my back seat and spare tire cos I have the LPG tank where the spare usually goes.

steveyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ V6 wagon
By the way you can fit 6.5s in the rear doors with a bit of cutting but I don't think its worth the effort. Let us know what you end up doing!

Also are your tailgate struts old? Maybe fresh ones would be strong enough to hold it.

Capt Baldman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon
Thanks Steveyc,

Nah, struts not that old, that's what bothers me, with speakers sitting on outside if i lower the tailgate to approx eye level it will slowly keep closing, normally it springs back up, a bit of wind or wear i think it struggle to stay up.
The 6x9s are quite heavy, maybe a set of 6 or 6.5" 3 ways might be better, I guess I'll have to compare weights. Like the idea of them in the tailgate.
Got a Sub, but it's a big kickar$e thing, ok for the boot of the VT, way too big for the back of a wagon, It's my son's car (now), Uni student sports freak, needs as much room in the back as possible.