Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Alloytec check powertrain light after overheating

dcrou7

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz crewman
So I was driving my vz alloytec and the temp started rising, overheating warning came on so I started looking for a place to pull over then check powertrain came on, it sputtered a little bit, I pulled over immediately, let it cool down, checked coolant and was half empty, filled up with GM coolant, turned ignition on and system check ok so started car ran smoothly as ever and seconds after starting check powertrain came on again. Car is running smoothly no loss of power and temps are low, everything seems fine except check powertrain. I haven't taken to machenic YET will do on my next day off. Anyone know what could be wrong? Is it safe to drive? I need it for work. Any help is appreciated thanks

supercharged-ride

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 Alloytec190
I am no expert at all, but the first thing that comes to mind for me is the tranny fluid as in the radiator plays part in cooling the tranny fluid.
So maybe and i do mean maybe if the auto has a service (fluid change, new filter and seal)it may go.
My reasoning for this is i brought a vz alloytec which had a auto playing up not wanting to run at all or irratic, check powertrain light etc on and i did as above and never had an issue since.
I have done 2500km so far and before i couldn't get it to run down the road properly.

Don't know if it would help you but food for thought

dcrou7

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz crewman
I am no expert at all, but the first thing that comes to mind for me is the tranny fluid as in the radiator plays part in cooling the tranny fluid.
So maybe and i do mean maybe if the auto has a service (fluid change, new filter and seal)it may go.
My reasoning for this is i brought a vz alloytec which had a auto playing up not wanting to run at all or irratic, check powertrain light etc on and i did as above and never had an issue since.
I have done 2500km so far and before i couldn't get it to run down the road properly.

Don't know if it would help you but food for thought

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I should have mentioned though it's the 6 speed manual, which was working fine on the drive home.

supercharged-ride

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6 Alloytec190
Thanks for the input, much appreciated. I should have mentioned though it's the 6 speed manual, which was working fine on the drive home.

LOL well sorry mate that's my thoughts out the window then

dcrou7

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz crewman
All good thanks anyway

dcrou7

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz crewman
Probably need to get it scanned and cleared, then see if it pops up again.

I've disconnected the battery and re connected it to reset it and it doesn't come up anymore. Still going to get it checked as there must be a leek somewhere. Do you think it's still safe to drive until I get it checked? I don't think it actually properly overheated, and everything thing seems normal, I just do t want to potentially damage it further.

Thanks!

sidecar55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1 9.5 Sportwagon/VE SS Series 2 Ute
The coolant should not need to be topped up. Usual coolant problems with Alloytecs are water pumps, heater valve & the top radiator hose inlet pipe 'o' ring & seals.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I've disconnected the battery and re connected it to reset it and it doesn't come up anymore. Still going to get it checked as there must be a leek somewhere. Do you think it's still safe to drive until I get it checked? I don't think it actually properly overheated, and everything thing seems normal, I just do t want to potentially damage it further.

Thanks!

Keep driving but check it everytime before you drive away, at least for a week anyway, and carry spare coolant even just water if you have to.
Got to be a leak if you have to keep topping up, so you need to find the leak.
Check water pump as well as suggested above.
First sign of trouble, stop and check.
Could be a thermostat problem.
How many k's on the engine, as high k's may mean radiator problems.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
have you bleed the system