Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ R8 Transmission Swap

thekhemist

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 HSV VZ Clubsport R8
Hi All,

I was wondering if it is possible to change the 4 speed auto gearbox in my VZ R8 to a 6 speed auto with sports shift from the VE / VF series.

Thanks.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Anythings possible really. I haven't done this swap before but I'm guessing it wouldn't be that hard considering the ve's are ls motors too. And the ve1 hsv's are the same motor as your vz.

Check it out on this forum and some others, someone may have done it before which would be helpful.

As a guess I would say you would need a modified tail shaft because the gearbox is likely a different length, maybe a different flexplate, the converter from the 6 speed and some tuning for sure.

Hopefully it isn't any bigger in size and doesn't fit in your tunel you might wanna check on the dimensions and also check out if it has different mounting points.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Both are computer controlled - so if you can solve that... the second is that 6L80 is a larger box so your transmission tunnel/firewall might need alterations to be done.

In the end it purely depends on how much you want it... over your budget/money/deep your pockets are.