Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY05 VZ SS Ute Work

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Well I've been given funds by the missus ($5,000) to spend on the ute and will more than likely kick things off next week.

I've had a 2005 VZ SS Ute in Quicksilver for about 10 years and am going to get some interior and exterior work done to bring it back to the way it was when I bought it.

I'm a car noob so not a lot of things about motors and what not make sense to me, but what I do know is I drive it, fill it up, pay it's rego and insurance, get it serviced every 10,000k and TRY to keep it clean, so am looking for some suggestions on what else to do to it.

Plans are to get the steering wheel stripped and releathered, new steering wheel controls put on, new power windows controls put it, new antenna put in, new full system exhaust, new windscreen, new driver and passenger windows put in and tinted, new globes through out the ute, driver seat stripped and remoulded, service, tune and then someone to do a full clean and detail inside and out.

Already have the steering wheel controls, just need to be fitted, already have the power window controls, just need to be fitted, already have the windscreen, driver side, passenger side windows and tint sorted (family friend), steering wheel is going to be sent to Adelaide to be stripped and releathered for $160, have someone sorted to clean and detail in August, getting the exhaust done, car serviced, tuned, globes, antenna at the same place all at once and they can do the steering wheel and window controls as well at the same time, will probably get the 19's rotated as well.

So, motor wise, radiator wise, is there anything else I should look at getting done? Want to keep everything standard, so no upgrades OK people, haha, anything worth grabbing and keeping in the tool box?

We get our MY16 VF series II SS Black Edition Phantom in August as well, so once everything is done and delivered, will throw everything up on here.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
maybe a proper detail by a professional if you wanted to go down that path.

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Yeah the bloke I have booked in with does this as a side job on weekends and his holidays, has for years, pulls the seats out, cleans in all the knooks and crannies, does all the exterior, does the engine bay, all for $160, so should be good, looking forward to getting it all finished.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Tbh, if it's $5,000 the treasury has allowed, I can't see there being much change from your current list if you're getting people to do it. Labour costs and all...

However, it is a good list! Maybe a suspension checkup? But if it still feels tight... No real need

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Tbh, if it's $5,000 the treasury has allowed, I can't see there being much change from your current list if you're getting people to do it. Labour costs and all...

However, it is a good list! Maybe a suspension checkup? But if it still feels tight... No real need

Yeah I'm expecting to go over, haha.

R

Risky

Maybe some NOS door inserts as I did with mine. I used these guys to get WL Statesman grey leather door inserts. They have plenty of different colours. items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores!

They also have leather handbrakes, console covers, shifter covers & gear knobs. I got mine within 3 days from when I phoned them.
Saas cluster pod...
m9aPbTL3Zg_ehc9wFhoa1FA.jpg

Good aftermarket stereo with handsfree.
How's the ¼ windows? Has the rubber perished or starting to perish? Holden don't have many left so now is a good time to replace.
Door rubbers? are they still serviceable?
The rubber pinchweld seal at the back of the ute, has it perished? Clark rubber sells them cheap.

I'm currently updating my roof lining to Anthracite as I have the Anthracite Calais sunvisors, roof light cover, door assist handles & the interior quarter window trims. Neutral pewter is so 2003, and I prefer to have it all black lol

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Just ordered a genuine console compartment to replace the drink holders, like the ones seen in the Calais, looks alright I think, easier to keep clean.

Rubbers are all good from off the top of my head at the moment, door rubbers are fine as well, probably wouldn't hurt to replace them though.

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Maybe some NOS door inserts as I did with mine. I used these guys to get WL Statesman grey leather door inserts. They have plenty of different colours. items - Get great deals on items on eBay Stores!

They also have leather handbrakes, console covers, shifter covers & gear knobs. I got mine within 3 days from when I phoned them.
Saas cluster pod...
m9aPbTL3Zg_ehc9wFhoa1FA.jpg

Good aftermarket stereo with handsfree.
How's the ¼ windows? Has the rubber perished or starting to perish? Holden don't have many left so now is a good time to replace.
Door rubbers? are they still serviceable?
The rubber pinchweld seal at the back of the ute, has it perished? Clark rubber sells them cheap.

I'm currently updating my roof lining to Anthracite as I have the Anthracite Calais sunvisors, roof light cover, door assist handles & the interior quarter window trims. Neutral pewter is so 2003, and I prefer to have it all black lol

Actually sussed out the roof lining Thurs night but all is good, it's mainly the console parts within the interior that need replacing.

R

Risky

You need a different console to hold the console compartment. The design in the Commodores are different. I did buy one only to return it.

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
You need a different console to hold the console compartment. The design in the Commodores are different. I did buy one only to return it.

BLOODY HELL! No worries, thanks for that, will get a hold of the seller and cancel! Lucky you commented!