Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Instrument Cluster

ThunderVZ0410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ute Thunder S
So I have a VZ Thunder S and I have a concern about the kilometers of my car, when I purchased the car it had a Calais front bar, Calais wheels and what I believe to be a Calais cluster as well. Now I'm just wondering if there is a way to match the serial number on the cluster to the car at all?

Im pretty sure this is not the original cluster as all other thunder s i have seen have different ones.

And also when I hold mode + set and turn key to ON I can only access the ver. and serial number, and I believe I should be able to cycle though some options including coolant temp. etc..

ps4B24M.jpg

Any feedback will be great

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
So I have a VZ Thunder S and I have a concern about the kilometers of my car, when I purchased the car it had a Calais front bar, Calais wheels and what I believe to be a Calais cluster as well. Now I'm just wondering if there is a way to match the serial number on the cluster to the car at all?

Im pretty sure this is not the original cluster as all other thunder s i have seen have different ones.

And also when I hold mode + set and turn key to ON I can only access the ver. and serial number, and I believe I should be able to cycle though some options including coolant temp. etc..

ps4B24M.jpg

Any feedback will be great

Yeaaaaah, calais cluster is not stock for your vehicle. Would probably need to look up the vehicles transfer history to see what the odometer readings were for previous owners.

In VY's, I can 100% confirm that serial number is meant to match the last 8 digits of your VIN. Verified this on dozens of VY's.

I *thought* that VZ's were the same. But, over the years Iv worked on a multiple VZ's from people that have owned the car from new and the clusters serial did not match the VIN. Im not sure if its a mistake, or if the serial is encrypted. But have worked on other VZ's were the serial did match, so in all honesty, Im unsure whether it does or doesnt anymore on VZ's. :hmmm:

ThunderVZ0410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ute Thunder S
How do I look up the vehicle transfer history? I looked around and can only find PPSR checks.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
I've owned a VZ SS Thunder, VY SS, and a VT executive. All of those clusters allowed cycling through options with those button combinations... Very odd. Also my Thunder has a very different cluster to that, not sure if it is because of SS vs S or what.

R

Risky

It seems to me that the previous owner has done some mods. It looks like a VZ Calais cluster. Chances are the previous owner may have had an original faulty cluster & replaced it with an eBay job with a bit of programming. I get dubious when I see cars/utes with modified panels as you don't know if they've been in an accident.

A couple of weeks ago at my friends smash repairs, a bermuda blue VZ ute rocked up with some damage on the rear driver side. I noticed as I was looking at it that it had air shocks as one side of the ute was down. I looked at the paintwork near the damage & I could see white streaks. I thought that it was from the other car that caused it. I looked at the interior & it had SS leather seats, anthracite roof lining & the door jams in bermuda blue. I originally thought the owner just updated the interior (mind you it was a messy ute). It wasn't until we opened up the bonnet & discovered an Ecotec L36 engine which VZ's never had. I read the plate & found it was an Oct '03 VY Series II S ute. The apprentice there spotted straight away that the colour code was wrong as it said heron white. The engine bay was bermuda blue. The apprentice started sanding the damaged section & we could see the heron white under the blue. It was a pretty deceptive vehicle considering that it had the SS front bar, rear bumperettes, side skirts, lights, quarter panels with indicators. Plus it was painted inside & out in bermuda blue.

Looks can be deceptive & it's always wise to find out about what you're buying.

ThunderVZ0410

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Ute Thunder S
Another odd thing I noticed is that light that says you have your seat belt off goes off after a few seconds even if you put the seat belt on. I've definitely learnt my lesson not to buy a car from a dealer with no warranty or books. :(

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Another odd thing I noticed is that light that says you have your seat belt off goes off after a few seconds even if you put the seat belt on. I've definitely learnt my lesson not to buy a car from a dealer with no warranty or books. :(

Well no. If the dealer has dealt with you in a deceptive manner, aka swapped clusters around to lower the odometer or done anything else that could be considered deceptive, you have a legal right to seek damages. With a private sale, you would just be **** out of luck.

Of course you would have to prove that the deceptive things where done when you bought the car from the dealer.