Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Faulty ECM or Stretched Timing Chain?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
•May 07 LE0 Crewman (base model)

Had the car indirectly diagnosed has having a possible stretched timing chain.
Symptoms are there but not entirely.
The technician who looked at it wasn't entirely convinced the timing was the issue.

Problem happened quickly.

The thing that bugs me is symptoms are also similar to a faulty ECU.
Also shifts a bit wrong. Wont kick down so easily.

Leading up to fault codes being logged was an intermittent start fault. Turn the key and nothing. Like when the starter is a bit dickie.

•So is there a way to test the ECM?

•How is a stretched timing chain diagnosed for certain?

I have a diagnostic cable arriving soon and will be able to take a good look at what it's doing while I drive etc.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Timing chain stretch will dump codes for cam position error and most importantly rattles like a MoFo on startup cold..

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Info gleaned from this forum....................... The engines with timing chains susceptible to elongation were produced from January 2006 to engine build date 18 May 2007 (18/5/2007); this production range corresponded to engine numbers between H053340001 and H071380576.

Is your engine number one of the ones likely to be effected ?

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah have read that and yes the number falls in that bracket however I am looking for info relating to what evidence is needed to diagnose either fault. guessing is not ideal when such a major expense may not even be needed.

It is logging codes for cam and oil. If the ecm is faulty then that may not be true and hence why the Roadside technician wasn't so sure it was the timing. The car ran to well for that IHO

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
yeah have read that and yes the number falls in that bracket however I am looking for info relating to what evidence is needed to diagnose either fault. guessing is not ideal when such a major expense may not even be needed.

It is logging codes for cam and oil. If the ecm is faulty then that may not be true and hence why the Roadside technician wasn't so sure it was the timing. The car ran to well for that IHO

Normally when its ECU, you will see the following fault display on the dash:
- SVS (Service vehicle soon)
- Fuel gauge error
- Check Powertrain

You will also find the car starts intermittently (like you are getting) and when it does start, it will run extremely rough as injectors begin dieing. Commonly injector 5 dies first which *sometimes* a fault is logged for the cylinder/s having problems.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Again, info from this forum, but you may already be past this point.......

Elongation of the timing chains would cause,
•the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL or ‘Check Engine’ light) to illuminate; and
•the ECU to log fault codes P0008, P0009, P0016, P0017, P0018 and P0019 which indicated that camshafts on either bank of the engine were misaligned with the crankshaft.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Great stuff folks.

When I get to plug the car in I will know more for myself.

As it happened, we started to get the engine light appear on our VE Calais and now saying oil pressure issue. :/

Reaction score
Members Ride
Adventra LX8 & LX6
Great stuff folks.

As it happened, we started to get the engine light appear on our VE Calais and now saying oil pressure issue. :/
Oil pressure sensor.... Common as..

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Great stuff folks.

Any update??

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
Info gleaned from this forum....................... The engines with timing chains susceptible to elongation were produced from January 2006 to engine build date 18 May 2007 (18/5/2007); this production range corresponded to engine numbers between H053340001 and H071380576.

Is your engine number one of the ones likely to be effected ?
my engine no is 10hbhHO60400096 WHICH IS IN THE RANGE CREWMAN DONE 205000M SEEMS OK AT THIS STAGE TOUCH WOOD