Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Polyair airbag install VZ spring problem

macaroni

Reaction score
Members Ride
S13
Hi guys,

Was installing a polyair airbag system into my VZ ute and I encountered a problem. The airbag has no way of squeezing into the spring because the top and bottom are wound shut basically. Might be a stupid question but is it possible to open up the top (unwind) of the spring and put the airbag in?

20160710_163729_resized.jpg

Cheers

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Hi guys,

Was installing a polyair airbag system into my VZ ute and I encountered a problem. The airbag has no way of squeezing into the spring because the top and bottom are wound shut basically. Might be a stupid question but is it possible to open up the top (unwind) of the spring and put the airbag in?

View attachment 183245

Cheers

If you really want to get it inside the spring let all the air out of the bag, stretch the spring open on one side and squeeze it in.
Of course I must ask the question as to what you hope to gain.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
As suggested, expel all air from bag, flatten it out (as best you can) then , ensuring it is the right way (up/down) slide it in between the coils. Sometimes a little dishwashing liquid may assist getting them into place. Make sure you wash it off once installed.

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
If you really want to get it inside the spring let all the air out of the bag, stretch the spring open on one side and squeeze it in.

As suggested, expel all air from bag, flatten it out (as best you can) then , ensuring it is the right way (up/down) slide it in between the coils. Sometimes a little dishwashing liquid may assist getting them into place. Make sure you wash it off once installed.

I used both of these together to get the bag inside my lowered kings springs.
Use a spring compressor only on one side of the spring and as it closes one side the other side opens up.

macaroni

Reaction score
Members Ride
S13
Cheers guys, will try tomorrow.

I loaded up my track bike onto the ute and since it's on super low springs, the back end was nearly scraping the ground. Wanted a bit more ground clearance so I'm putting these in.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Cheers guys, will try tomorrow.

I loaded up my track bike onto the ute and since it's on super low springs, the back end was nearly scraping the ground. Wanted a bit more ground clearance so I'm putting these in.

That explains it, the springs did look low hence my question.