Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

install new aerial and remove the plastic mud guard inners

stevenbaus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec 1999
Hi
I want to replace the car aerial and when I when to remove the plastic inner guard could not get the plastic screws out.
Does anyone know where I can purchase from (part number) as I was thinking just drill them out as when I head of the screws are threaded.

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Looks a bit familiar. You prob won't need a hundred of them tho ;)

When trying to unscrew them (before someone buggers the head) try to prise a flat screwdriver under the head and give it some upward pressure to help the plastic thread grip the outer 'sleeve' it's in so that it comes out whole and you get more chance of re-using it. Tip for next time maybe.

Oh yeah.....and good like trying the aerial. Pretty sure there's a 'How To' on here and more than one thread bitching about the job. I'll be on at least one of those.

stevenbaus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT exec 1999
cheers, yes I have removed them before from the radiator cover etc using a screwdriver to lift up first, just whoever had before really killed them .

I am kind of putting this off now lol.
I may just listen to spofity streaming

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Cut them off with some pliers. Remove the panel. You can buy the replacement scrivets at Supercrap or Repco etc. in those packs that hang from a wobbly rotating tower.

Last edited:

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
cheers, yes I have removed them before from the radiator cover etc using a screwdriver to lift up first, just whoever had before really killed them .
I am kind of putting this off now lol.
I may just listen to spofity streaming

Now I'm putting this job off as well........again.
My aerial is bent to buggery again !
Last time I tried just the 'Rope and Post' which had 3 of us working on it and def did NOT fit.
Then I tried a few full aftermarket units which were supposed to plug straight in, and DIDN'T. (Cutting wires and bending bits is NOT a direct replacement).
So now I'm really not looking to go through the whole process again !!!
(It's bent at a decent angle to match the A-pillar actually so if I stick a load of Epoxy in there and glue the aerial to the Bezel surround then I just have to buy a surround in case I want to fix it better later. What a lazy B*stard I am !)

If anyone has bought a unit that IS actually plug and play please let us know, thanks.

OP keep us posted. (Who will put it off for the longest time ;). Mine still actually works to receive signal and I usually listen to my own USB input anyway. )

Cut them off with some pliers. Remove the panel. You can buy the replacement scrivets at Supercrap or Repco etc. in those packs that hang from a wobbly rotating tower.
Hey good tip , thanks.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
If anyone has bought a unit that IS actually plug and play please let us know, thanks.

Are you talking the aerial unit or the screws? I have an aerial unit sitting in garage waiting to go in that looks identical to the stock unit.

I haven't put it in yet due to laziness/the old one started working again... My issue was not going all the way down, now it is again.

vt vx vy vz electric aerial - $95

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
Are you talking the aerial unit or the screws? I have an aerial unit sitting in garage waiting to go in that looks identical to the stock unit.

I haven't put it in yet due to laziness/the old one started working again... My issue was not going all the way down, now it is again.

vt vx vy vz electric aerial - $95
yeah I'm talking whole unit now. 'Post and rope' should do the job but in my experience didn't !

Thanks for the link.
So that's over a hundred bucks when I add postage. To fix a bent bit.........bugger. I seem to recall having to work my way up in the ebay market to something $80 or over. That was from an 'Overstock' shop and it seems they have no 'overstock aerials now.

You still just going to keep your's spare for when you do actually need it ?

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
From what i have read the aftermarket aerials dont fit correctly. I got a 2nd hand one for $40 dlvd fully electric genuine.
Yeah there's a lot that don't fit, which is why I am hating having to look at this again and even half thinking of glueing the bugger on to the bezel!!?

$40 all up !? Is that a supplier or a once off private sale. (Also for VZ ? isn't there a difference to VX ?)