Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS Ute Ticking Noise! Lifters?

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Posted somewhere a few weeks back about a ticking noise coming from the front driver side of the VZ SS ute, asked the mechanic this morning about it as I dropped it off to have some work done and he said it was lifters and that the head needs to come off and blah blah blah.

Kind of hard to find a reliable mechanic locally, so thought I'd come on here to get some opinions, also Googled Holden VZ SS lifter noise and have read to change the oil or add something to the oil, any advice? Cheers.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
How many Kms' on her? If high kms normal ls1 trait unless a real noise from 1 lifter. Different oils can make a huge difference in ls engines, to thin = tick to thick equals same.

do you have headers? if so check for bolts going loose.

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
How many Kms' on her? If high kms normal ls1 trait unless a real noise from 1 lifter. Different oils can make a huge difference in ls engines, to thin = tick to thick equals same.

do you have headers? if so check for bolts going loose.

Has roughly 220,000km on it, got serviced last week with a new mechanic, also tuned, had a new exhaust fitted as well, same extractors, he also found that one of the extractors wasn't bolted on properly by the previous mechanic, which left me f*****g fuming, so just need a thicker oil mixed in?

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Just got the ute back, booked in again on Monday to have more work done on it.

Because I've had the steering wheel off to get releathered I haven't been able to drive the ute, so steering wheel is back on and first time I've driven it since it's service, tune, exhaust and I can honestly say the ute has never driven so well since I've had it!

All oils to be done on Monday, plus break pads.

New power window controls got put in today also, tried doing it myself during the week but couldn't get the centre console off and really didn't want to force it incase I snapped something so got them to do it, free of charge to fit the steering wheel and power window controls as well.

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
All oils got changed this morning, so hopefully all good now, dropped the ute off and walked into the car yard next door and bought a VF series II SSV Redline, have it tomorrow morning =)

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Have had the ute over the last 3 weeks serviced, tuned, 2 new mufflers, air con fixed, wheel alignment, wheel rotation, new electric antenna, new steering wheel controls fitted, new electric window switches fitted, new leather fitted to steering wheel, new radiator, new O2 sensors fitted, new exhaust tips, new air filter, new fuel filter, new fan belts, new valley plate gasket, new rocket cover gasket, new water pump, new engine mounts, new front disc rotors & pads, still have the ticking sound, so now goes in next week to have new lifters, new head gasket, new inlet manifold gasket, at this stage with out the work to be done next week I'm sitting at $4,900 worth of work so far.

VZSSHawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Ute
Wasn't expecting new gaskets, O2 sensors, radiator, filters, pumps, for the work next week it's going to be $1,080.