Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY or VZ Help

Reaction score
Members Ride
NOTHING
Not sure if this is in the right section but, Im looking at buying a car, currently Im driving a 1995 VS Calais. Im on my P's. Im looking at either a Supercharged VY SPac or a VZ Sv6. My dilemma is that i'm unsure of what I want. Im really looking at buying a manual but the VY SPac (Supercharged) didn't come out manual....However i'm comfortable driving an auto. The thing that is attracting me to the VY is the ability to modify them minimally and still gaining significant Kw's because of it being boosted. For the car I choose i'm not really looking at major modifications just some light modifications that can squeeze out around 30-50kws or so. However im looking at tuning either car I buy just like a "ECU reflash" to wipe out factory parameters Im in year 12 and about to sit my HSC so I really dont want to make modifications that will cause other problems and make it a bottomless pit like my VS. However the VZ is looking good because of it being manual and having more Kw (I know that having a lot of KW doesn't make it fast) but the manual capability is appealing to me. So this is my dilemma. Also a downfall that im worried about with the VZ is the timing chain issue so i'm kind of worried about that. So what do you guys reckon??? What are the pros and cons of each car??

D

Don123

You should ask your dad, you will get the best advice on what to buy and how much to spend etc etc.

MattK

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ V6
Supercharged VY SPac

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Having owned a VZ sv6 and vx s (still) I would rather the vx with the 3.8 ecotec any day.

The sv6 definitely handled better (not too much) and the car qas generally quicker but the vx is so much more enjoyable to drive. You have to drive both and see for yourself. The gear ratios and engine torque in a 5sp manual coupled with the ecotec's "drivable" torque curve just feels so much better. The 190kw v6 was quick off the line in the auto and it would grip up good but its dead in the ass from 2500-4500rpm. once u get over that, it revs out nicely. Quite the opposite for the ecotec (and the 5 sp manual anayway). the ecotec and 260 getrag is a bit dead in the ass at 1000-2000 but then 2000-5000 is nice linear power on tap. it doesnt rev out nicely like the sv6 however.

In fact the 5sp manual and ecotec FEELS faster then the sv6 however if you timed it it would be slower only slightly. the 3.8 is a solid engine - just reg change the oil and you'll have no worries if its had a decent service history. the alloytec however u gotta be very careful with.

Never driven the supercharged version of the ecotec so cant comment on that but i'd just get a N/a one as theres more chance of getting one that hasnt been flogged. i would also opt for a manual and therefore rules out the vz or supercharger.

just go and drive them and you'll see.